View Single Post
Old 10-16-2022, 11:14 PM   #13
SoCalCoupe

Default Re: Where to start tuning a pair of 81s

I love the Fordbarn! Seriously, I don’t know how got the inside knowledge they needed on obsolete technology for their hobby cars before internet forums like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Looking at the length of your throttle rod, I’m assuming you are running the throttle off the front. If so, that’s why it’s rubbing. Need to run off rear carb and it will clear the rods.

Thanks Tim, great eye but I shortened it after I took the picture above. I connected the Ford throttle rod to the rear Stromberg carb. The throttle rod is definitely not binding with the accelerator pump rod. I probably didn’t describe it very well, but the Stromberg accelerator pump rod is binding with the vertical Stromberg throttle lever attached to the carb.

Today:

-o- The richness I saw on the plugs yesterday, a thick coat of soot, after a 1 mile drive disappeared after taking it for a ten mile drive this morning. The plugs now look like new, on the lean side. Kept an eagle eye on the temperature gauge. Never got abnormally hot.

-o- It still idles too fast even with the idle screws all the way out.
I think this points to a vacuum leak. Thoughts?

-o- Noticed when I was using the uni-syn that I would shut down the engine when cutting off air flow to the front carb but not the back. A vacuum leak in the rear?

-o- Pulled off the weird banjo vacuum fitting at the rear of the manifold and it was full of gas. That doesn’t seem right. When moving connections from the old manifold to the new, I tightened it as hard as I thought I should, but it definitely wasn’t too tight. When I looked tonight, I saw that I had installed it with two copper washers, one on each side of the banjo. When I looked at my old manifold though, I found another copper washer. There were two on the manifold side.

-o- I’m 90% sure I have vacuum leak from the distributor retard/wiper vacuum fitting but not sure why. I’ll work on it some more next weekend.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote