View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #55
MoonRunner

Default Re: My COIL EXPLODED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The above theory is correct...however, I ran my 35 V8 for years on 6 volt, using some sort of unmarked coil brought in from America. It has a black body and a gold sort of coloured top. Years later, when I converted that vehicle to 12 jolts, I kept the same coil, same configuration, no ballast resister [just as I used it with 6 volt], and it has run flawlessly like that for years.
Some years ago I imported a 1951 8N tractor. It too was 6 volt with the same sort of coil [black body/ gold top] When the 6 volt battery expired, I replaced it with a 12 volt battery, again leaving the coil unchanged. It too has proven trouble free.
Now, I don't know the coil resistance, however, I understand these are 6 volt coils. They run perfectly fine on 6 or 12 volts.

Curious, that. My '40 Merc has helmet style distributor like a stock '35, and as ROTORWRENCH mentioned, I measured 5 of those coils recently and found they have about .6 to .8 ohms resistance Two were Ford, the others aftermarket. My .8 ohm ballast is located up under the dash and if you went to 12 volts without changing the wiring, that ballast is still in the circuit.

So, you would be at ~1.5 ohms if you were using a helmet, but it sounds like you aren't. If you are using a 1.5 ohm can type coil, the total resistance is about 2.3 ohms with that hidden ballast. You got lucky!

Those helmet coils often get overheated and fail. One of the bad ones I had leaked liquid pitch... Didn't blow up tho!

What ignition system does your 8N use?

Last edited by MoonRunner; 10-05-2022 at 10:15 AM.
MoonRunner is offline   Reply With Quote