View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #36
bbrocksr

Default Re: King Pin Reaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Yes Vern, ...however the Hone stones have more surface area to support the cutting action whereas the cutter's narrow width of the Reamer does not always have the ability to support itself. The benefit a spiral Reamer has it can keep the Reamer centered. My honing stones are trued in a carbide sleeve to ensure they are accurately round prior to honing the bushing, and then the type stones I use have a 320° coverage around the inside bore's radius. Because I can remove one-quarter of a thousandth (0.00025" !!) of an inch with my machine, I can first measure the ground shank area of the Spindle Bolt to know the exact size and then hone to the appropriate clearance size. This cannot be done with a fixed Reamer.

Yes, possibly Bill ...however mostly No in the method being discussed here.

At the factory, they were indeed reamed with the Spindle mounted into a fixture that created rigidity, AND the Reamer was being driven at a constant and continuous speed under mechanized power. There is a HUGE difference between" hand operating a hone" with the spindle mounted into a vise, -vs. clamping the Spindle into a rigid fixture with a purpose built and ground Reamer being driven by a machine that has a quill that does not deflect. (The best analogy I can give is it is comparing factory reaming to hand reaming is like comparing two paint jobs on Model-As, -one sprayed with Krylon aerosol paint cans, and the other sprayed with a SATA 5000 spray gun. Someone can argue that both jobs were spray painted, however I suspect we all can easily spot the quality differences between the two methods. )
Hand operating a hone?
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote