View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 10:50 AM   #12
ModelAMitch

Default Re: Left my Ignition on Like a Dummy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at 80% charge, it will still not start the car. If a 6 volt battery is fully charged, it will show around 7.2 volts or so. If it shows to be only 6 volts, believe it or not, it's the same as a dead battery.
Understood, I'll leave my charger on and see if it will reach 100% if not, well I guess I need a new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Hi Mitch. If the ignition points were closed while the key was left on, the coil is likely overheated and no longer serviceable.
The points were closed, and the battery was fully charged when this happened. So Im thinking the coil is likely burnt out.. Ill have to research a way of checking it and I guess get a new one along with a battery if thats whats required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
Pop the battery out and run it down to one of the auto parts stors that will load test it for free. Only a little bit of your time to know for sure
Good idea, I forgot they do that for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
It is prudent to make it a habit to pull the fuse on top the starter when you are through driving the car for the day. Take it out of the holder and stand it on its head at one end. This way you have removed all power from the car except for the starter switch, which is not a concern.

If you have left the key on you have nullified it. If something else is left on, same drill.

Another reason is to protect from a fire. The fuse is usually a 20 or 30 amp. However, a short circuit somewhere that is less than the rating of the fuse will sit there and draw current and possibly overheat a wire and start cooking the insulation and cause a fire.

Tom Endy
I dont have a fuse on my starter like I see many of you guys do. This is something I should seriously consider installing by the sounds of it?
ModelAMitch is offline   Reply With Quote