View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 02:44 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Default Re: How in heck does this thing work? (Nu rex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
I notice that Paul Shinn uses the Nu-rex, and he times his engine to one notch down. Most everyone else has the spark lever all the way up....including the nu-rex manufacturer's video. pros and cons anyone?

Looking for discussion about this.

Also, when the spark lever is brought down for normal driving, the spark actually goes from TDC to before TDC for driving....am I correct about that? In Shinn's video, he explains how he times the engine to after TDC, so that there will never be a backlash from hand crank starting......but, if that is so, it seems like one notch down will actually mean it would be more likely to get a kick-back while hand crank starting.

What am I missing here?

eog

Each notch down of the left lever is 2-3* of advance, so, if base timing is set in that manner the timing is retarded when the lever is fully up. In other words, if lever is down 2 clicks when timing is set then when lever is full up the timing is retarded [ ATDC] by 4-6*. The engine should hand start just fine with little worry about a kick back. A kick back usually doesn't occur until timing is about 10* [ or more] BTDC.

If an engine base timing is retarded when lever is full up then the total advance when lever is full down is decreased by that amount. The full lever movement should be 40*, so, with lever full up and timing is set 5* retarded then the actual total advance will be 35*. Thats actually better as far as I'm concerned as I don't think these engines need 40* of advance.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote