View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #15
Dave in MN

Default Re: Oil Filter/Relief Valve housing for a Burtz Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Thanks! Those were my intentions. First it needed to work and reduce the amount of parts required for a filter installation and pressure regulator to be able to adjust the desired oil pressure externally. After that I wanted it to blend in to the details of the Model A engine.

Dennis and I both included a Scat oil filter/pressure relief/bi-pass on our early Burtz engine builds. It required 3 hoses or tubes, was prone to leaking, did not have enough internal capacity to eliminate excessive pressure at high rpm and looked as ugly as sin. While testing, we shared information regarding pumps, system pressures and concerns about over pressure loads on the stock oil pump drive gear. We were/are concerned the teeth on the oil pump drive gear and camshaft would be loaded too severely.

It was Dennis alone that came up with the design he is now showing Forum members. What I see he has not mentioned on this Forum is the following:

His design will work well with a pump that delivers more volume than the engine can absorb or leak by the bearings. Too much volume will result in the system oil pressure rising at higher rpm and the result of driving the oil pump to higher pressure is the oil pump drive gear will be stressed beyond what it was designed to endure.

There are a couple oil pumps being brought to market that include a built-in relief. There are also some engine builders adding reliefs to available pumps (I'm one) that put out too much volume...The Stipe pump is an example that I have been using. The issue you have with adding a relief to the Stipe pump or using a new pump with an integral relief is that you have no ability to fine tune the system pressure without removing the oil pan to make adjustments. The design Dennis is proposing allows for precise adjustment of system oil pressure without dropping the pan. Another great thing about this design is it just looks like it could have been a part designed and built by Henry Ford.

In summary: An integral relief at the pump, adequately sized to relieve a large volume of oil flow, helps eliminate over-pressure at higher rpms of a high-capacity oil pump. The externally adjustable bi-pass of the Kliesen filter adapter helps to provide a more consistent oil pressure at all rpms.

Great design Dennis. Thanks for making this product available for the Burtz engine.

I'm already on the list to purchase a number of them from the first run.

Dave Gerold
Durable Performance

Last edited by Dave in MN; 06-18-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote