Thread: B Carb on an A?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 08:26 PM   #34
Terry, NJ

Default Re: B Carb on an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotvinV8 View Post
Not everyone has access to a Bridgeport or even a drill press, so my response/approach was aimed towards the guy in his garage that wants to do the swap. My point is, it's super simple and does not need to be over thought. If the gasket matches the bottom of the carb and it matches the port on the intake, you're good to go. It's not rocket science.

I would argue against polishing the inside of the manifold as the casting surface helps fuel atomization and a little turbulence is actually a good thing. Take a look at the inside of this intake...

There's a reason it has that waffle pattern at the bottom. ot trying to be a jerk, just keeping up a good conversation!
Good for you! I despise jerks but love good discussions! If I'm full of ... Ah you know, say so! Ok, I know about the atomization argument, But I disagree with the reasoning. I don't think the waffling is there for that reason. I think it's some engineers brain fart thinking that the exhaust gases that I think are passing below it will warm up the gases before they get to the valves. And the waffling will help with the heating thereof . " Yeah! we don't have to do all that polishing, The rough sides will actually help with improved atomization!" Suppose we look at the shape of the flow cylinder. Suppose we then take a look at the core of this cylinder. What's doing the atomization of the fuel in the center of the flow? As far as I can see, nothing! Or it's getting batted and bashed into the walls of the manifold and the the head and lastly, the valve surfaces. Let me close by saying, for decades guys have ported and Polished manifolds to prevent there being any turbulence to slow the flow of the gases. Iv'e seen some modern cars with factory polish jobs. I'm old school ! I polish!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote