View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
wwirz

Default Re: Old style distributor

I had the original set up with the condenser mounted just above the engine head in the distributor. This also requires the original condenser.
You can read in FORDBARN about the problems people have with condenser in the old style. The condenser gets hot in the original location and then shorts. This causes missing and backfiring.
I got around this problem by upgrading to a modern lower and upper plate. This has several advantages:
. Moves the condenser from a hot environment to a cooler environment just under the distributor cap
. The points and condenser are readily stocked at auto parts stores (and at Model A parts distributors) in case of emergency.
. eliminates the wire coming from the lower plate to the points.
I know this change to the modern set up generates much dialogue but since I made this change, I have not had one issue with the points or condenser failing.

I think what you have is another alternative to the condenser failing issue which is to mount to the firewall (for ground) and them run the pigtail wire to the coil. I have this in my car as well for a "roadside fix" if necessary.
There are diagrams on FORDBARN for the condenser mounted on the firewall.

I hope this helps.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote