Thread: '36 Coil Puked
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #20
VeryTangled

Default Re: '36 Coil Puked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryat1140 View Post
...As far as I know we did nothing to contribute to the failure - but of course anything is possible... It's all part of the fun. <grin>
Hi Everyone, It's now 2021 and a touch over ten years on from this, my first thread started on FordBarn. I remember it like it was yesterday. Clear as a bell, I think?!?

My dear departed dad turned out to be wrong. Here's the rest of the story.

The hot theory was I left the switch on, but the engine off, and it cooked the coil through a set of closed points. That wasn't it. I can't say I've never done that, but I didn't do it this time! (Sorry GM, and thanks for the gentle treatment for a newbie. And hit the enter key occasionally, guy.)

It WAS user error on my part, but in a different way.

The last drive before the incident we roll started the car.

(If you are using pushers, do them a huge favor and avoid first, use third when you've got to pop the clutch guys! That lesson was painfully learned while a group of us ended up pushing a guy five times in one day on a different tour. He didn't read the memo and couldn't get the concept!)

I remember we were leaving a tour stop at a zoo that wasn't my cup of tea. The previous no-start was at a jail/museum which oddly was more interesting.

We were parked facing downhill considering the previous no-start (which today I attribute to vapor lock) and our brilliant idea was to try to roll it and see how that worked out. Haha.

The switch was on to start and the engine caught right away, lucky us, but the battery/starter were not engaged to do it. This car has a battery cut-out. I'd switched it off when parking the car. BUT I'd forgot to switch it on for starting (didn't use the starter, so didn't realize it was switched off).

Running the car five minutes over the road with the battery out of the loop and the generator supplying electric with nowhere to store it is what caused the coil to suffer it's gruesome liquidy demise due to my goof.

Skip replaced the coil on his dime without any snide remarks or eye-rolls that I could see from five states away.

I did my best to make sure to remember him, attempting to make up for my f-up when I did some later transactions with him. And he does flawless work on many assemblies other than coils and water pumps. Remember to use his services because he'll treat you right even when you're the A-hole like I was on this beautiful day back in September 2011.

One thing I'll always remember is Ken and Carolyn Bound's gorgeous Crestliner pulling up and coming to our (mostly emotional) rescue!

And wrenching on our Phaeton beside the road with my Dad was a memory I'll take with me to my last breath.

Couldn't dig up current adverts for Skip, but I found these from 2014...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (50.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (34.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (48.4 KB, 5 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote