View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #27
WTSHNN

Default Re: Model A Town Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
WTS- having read that these were only sold on Lincoln lots- what is your source indicating they were also sold on Ford lots?

thanks
I've heard and read the same but I've also heard other versions of it. That it was a Lincoln exclusive at first but then poor sales (and gripes from Lincoln) lead to Ford moving them into Ford showrooms.

In The Ford Model A As Henry Built It they state

"The original sales policy was to sell the Town Car through Lincoln dealers only, but in February, 1929, it was changed to include select Ford Dealers"

It further explains that due to lagging sales in April 1929 the home sales office in Dearborn sent a strong letter to dealers chastising them for poor sales.

Newspaper articles at the time seem to indicate that in February and March of 1929 there was a travelling Lincoln Salon showcasing all the new Lincoln cars and that the Ford Town Car was displayed alongside them at these shows. But there are also pictures and newspaper ads for Ford dealers displaying the Town Car alongside other Model A options around the same time.

As far as I know there is at least one image of a Model A Town Car on display at a Lincoln dealer.

Attached is a newspaper photo from the Dade Motor Company in Miami alongside other 1929 Model A's including a tudor, roadster, phaeton, and possible a fordor.

-Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryan-motor_showroom.jpg (80.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by WTSHNN; 07-27-2021 at 02:21 PM.
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote