View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #1
mgambuzza

Default Tonight's Sorting Out Episode - Lighting

So since I've bought my 1930, I've been waiting to tackle some of the lighting gremlins or anomalies. Parking lamps - one seemed brighter than the other. Low beam one was brighter than the other, I thought just a simple bulb replacement - you probably know where I'm going next....

Parking lamp - the passenger side had a standard bulb, single filament - all seemed fine, but the drivers side - ugh. There was a dual filament bulb jammed into the socket and only lighting the low wattage element. Of course it wouldn't come out as the dual knobs were getting jammed up with the single terminal on the bottom of the base. After the glass sheared off, I was able to use a pliers to rip out the base. Of course in this process it sheared off the terminal - luckily found it. Soldered it, reinserted into the socket, used a proper bulb and voila - equal wattage on both sides.

The headlight fortunately was a different issue. I discovered the driver side had reversed the wiring on the high/low so that when Low was selected the High beam was illuminating, and when High was selected both elements were glowing. Reversed the two center terminals and the second issue was corrected.

Doing this also gave me relief as although the wrong bulb was in the parking lamp, and the headlamp mis-wired, they did replace the reflectors and they were in fantastic shape. Now all I need is a dry day/night to test out all the modifications and life will be that much better. Just another night in the garage.....
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote