View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 06:23 PM   #11
Admiral

Default Re: Possible blown head gasket?

OK, after a busy weekend I finally had a chance to spend a few minutes in the garage to try and diagnose this possible issue.

Per FlatheadTed's suggestion, the first thing I did this evening was crank the engine over for a few seconds with the ignition off to see if any of the plugs were wet with coolant. When I pulled the plugs, they were all bone dry and a nice chocolate-brown color, so that's doubly good.

Next, with the spark plugs out, I ran a compression test. In this department, the engine seems quite healthy. The results are as follows:

1. 115 PSI
2. 115 PSI
3. 115 PSI
4. 120 PSI
5. 118 PSI
6. 120 PSI
7. 111 PSI
8. 127 PSI

After reinstalling the plugs, I got the engine up to about 160 degrees on the thermostat, and I didn't see any bubbles percolating up through the driver's side radiator hose when looking through the top. However, when I held the throttle wide-open a few times for a couple seconds the coolant got very foamy very quickly (thanks for the suggestion, JWL). I wonder if this is just the type of coolant I'm running, an interaction with any residual Thermocure I used last year or some sort of cavitation from the water pumps.

To the point deuce5wndw made about the head nuts, yes, they've all been torqued to about 45 pounds and none were loose.

Since no coolant is coming out the exhaust (or is on the plugs), since the car drives normally and since there was not a trace of antifreeze in the oil, which I changed just two weeks ago, I'm starting to think I don't have a problem after all. At this point, I'll just drive the car and keep an eye on it.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote