View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
Timmmy Taylor

Default Barn Find 1946 Tudor.

Hi everyone, my name is Haydn and I just joined the forum.

I am hoping to find out more about my recent barn find here in Detroit.

I was told by the owners son (his father passed away around 5 years ago and was a hoarder), that he believes the car is a 1946 Ford Tudor, which aligns with the big grille.

Here is the story I know so far…..

The car had been in a 2 car garage for at least 40 years, as the owners son who is in his 60’s remembers sneaking into the garage when he was a kid and he pretended to drive it.

When I found the garage that was part of an estate sale a friend happened upon, my friend called me and said there were two old cars in the garage. I went and took a look and the entire garage was packed floor to ceiling with stuff, furniture and all manner of…stuff. I couldn’t see much other than the very back of a 65 Mustang, and the top rear 1/4 of the Ford. I made the guy an offer on the entire contents of the garage mostly sight unseen, much like the show ‘storage wars’, and he accepted.

When it came time I cleared out the garage and got the 2 cars back to my shop in Detroit.

After some jet washing and investigation, the Tudor is really interesting. The back window has ‘Car In Tow’ in red tape and it had towing lights on it. Up front there is a flat tow A-frame still attached. It has an Alabama license plate on it. My guess it was towed from Alabama to Detroit and put in the garage and that was that.

Now the really interesting part, when I got the hood open I saw something I did not expect, a Buick Nailhead with a generator on a 6v charge system I believe. In the drivers side front windscreen there is a ‘Getz Geared’ sticker. Under the dash are some very old school aftermarket oil pressure, temperature gauges.

I managed to find the stamped number on the drivers side frame, close to the radiator and after some wire brushing and brake cleaner I believe it reads 1818375 (star) {or maybe I8I8375 Star} . So my first question is can anyone decipher anything about the car from the frame number. Clearly I cannot check the engine number as someone swapped in the nail head I am guessing in the 50’s or 60’s.

Yesterday I was able to crank over the Nailhead, no spark but it isn't seized.

Thats my story so far, here are some pictures and I hope the community here can help me figure out what this thing really is.

My intention is to try and find the car's history, who hot rodded it and when, but it's a long shot. The car is basically rust free & I intend to restore it to its vintage hot rod build and use it.

Thanks

Haydn
Timmmy Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote