View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #65
Kube

Default Re: Auction of Gene Hetland's mostly '32 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchangeV8 View Post
The auction I was referring to was the online auction of parts and not the 1932 Ford cars and other vehicles that were also up for auction. The auction I was referring to is the first posting in this thread and was made up of about 500 or so lots. 23% premium on top of the hammer price, on top of the probable 10% auction fee charged to the seller is just far too high. Some of theses auction companies have figured out that some vintage car buyers and vintage car parts buyers are willing to pay almost anything to acquire that special car part or vehicle. So guess what happens next. They jack up fees buyers premiums etc. and find they can get away with it, because some people are happy to pay these crazy prices.

This online auction could have been held with a minimal staff involved and the profit margin had to be high.

I for one simply will not pay these crazy high fees. The high prices and money gouging prices are just going to ruin our hobby. Our young people simply will not continue the hobby and everything will come to an end.
I believe the current (quote) "crazy high fees" have no new impact on the hobby. This hobby has always been a bit on the expensive side. I was fortunate enough to get in on the proverbial "ground floor" back in the late 60's and prospered rather well for that.
To quote you: "The high prices and money gouging prices are just going to ruin our hobby."
A hobby is paid for with discretionary (aka fun money) monies. Some folks have more discretionary money than others. So be it.

There's a reason only one car remains on my bucket list. Cost. Current value is around $750. For me - insane. For others? Chump change. I don't believe that ruined anything for me. I had the chance to buy that particular car in 1976 for a cool $35. I chose to by my first home for the same price.

Auctions, like any free enterprise, thrive upon supply and demand.

Believing that (quote) "Our young people simply will not continue the hobby and everything will come to an end." Well, yes, but for not so much the money end of it but rather the loss of interest. Cars collected by folks like me and most others were typically the ones we wanted in high school / college or had at that time. As we as a group aged and became more affluent, we started buying those cars.
Young folks by and large are not interested in cars and many, very many are not even seeking a drivers license. So as they age, there are no memories of "that car" to create an urgency to buy one.