View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #1061
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The Camel Lady continued.

The last story was on Cue and Jayne’s outdoor clothing business. I checked Jayne out on the internet and found she has moved to Broome which is a town of 14,000 in the north of Western Australia. In the dry season (winter), the number then increases to 45,000. The attraction being the warm weather. When I knew it in the late 60’s I think it would have been, maybe, 2,000. The town was known for pearling. I read some 300 pearling luggers existed in 1880. I was fortunate to see the launching of luggers in the late 60’s; 120 comes to mind. I understand only one exists today as a tourist actraction, on land.
I have gone to the internet for some facts. This information is in blue print.

industry, 38% were Malays, 20% Philippine, 18% Japanese, 0.9% Aboriginal and 0.8% Chinese. By 1920, Japanese divers comprised one third of the workforce and by World War II, nearly half were Japanese. Almost all divers suffered from the bends (diver’s paralysis) at some time. The mortality rate was as high as 50%.

The pictures below. A tourist attraction; the cemetery is full of Asian tombstones. I have not seen it. Other two pictures are self explanatory.

Broome was shot up on WW2. I don’t know the number of deaths; in particular the injured soldiers and aeroplane crews that were shot up when being flown home to Australia plus Dutch being evacuated from the East Indies. However one notable attack was on float planes in the bay. On board eighty eight died. They had no escape. At low tide some six aeroplane hulls are still visible. (again I have not seen this).

I had many visits to Broome in the late 60’s. I stayed in the tin (ripple iron) Continental Hotel. Most buildings were tin. Today it is a tourist town with up market repugnant holiday units. European capital took this lovely little village and turned to a grotesque town, but the urbane wealthy love it. And there lies the market for Jaynes “Camel Man” wear. Business wise- a good move but I would wonder if she misses the outback and the folk who live out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (10.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 5b43d44c83a3accbfad684552cf3fa77f5b9b3a6-1.jpg (42.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg imgres-2_large.jpg (12.2 KB, 29 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 05-10-2021 at 12:32 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote