View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #36
daveymc29
BANNED

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I have a Mitchell in my 31 S/W town sedan, but with a 4.11 rear end gear. I plan to remove the 4.11 and replace it with a 3.78 ratio.
I have a 26% Mitchel O/D and the Mitchell tranny also in my Roadster. Did that so if I keel over the bride can drive normally to get home. It also is a bit peppier engine than stock and I run 600 X 16 and hyd. brakes. Very responsive and does well on the highways and over the Sierras. Cable shift. 55/60 mph fine, 65 when bored.

My coupe has a B/W OD, 33% with 4:11 rear. Never over the Sierras but very good on the highway and local hills, so I fear no problem over the mountains, It is also cable shift. Advantage to that is keeping the floor open to getting in on the right and sliding across to drivers side if and when necessary, 55/60 on highway, 65 if pressed by traffic.(Just until I Can get to the far right lanes.

The best for looks is to use the Laycock (Volvo) O?D and a switch either hidden or mounted on the shift shaft or be creative and build a know for the shifter with a built in switch. Mitchell told me 4:11 gears and a 33% overrdrive is ideal for most occasions. I do agree. Volvo can be had in 33%, though when I was looking no one had one and a $400 B?W showed up, I had the 4:11 gear so here it is. Works for me, again using 600 X 16 tires.

Last edited by daveymc29; 03-02-2021 at 11:44 PM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote