View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
5window

Default Re: What Model A part was the hardest to take apart?

I have not taken a whole Model A apart, but hinge pins were a bear. The top two,I had previously drilled out for hinge pin mirrors. The lower four, we had the doors off. It took two weeks of soaking with penetrating oil, heating with a torch, grinding the bottoms flat where they'd been peened over, driving with a pin punch,using one of Bob Drake's C-style pin pushers and finally, a great bit of advice.

Bob Drake's door pin removal tool: very sturdy, worked well on the one straight pin,but not well on the three bent ones. Plus, since BD makes parts for '32 and up cars, I found the push rod pins to be just a bit too big for the Model A hinges Not sure what size they really are,but a bit too big for Henry's just under 0.250 pins in my A. I used sawed off drill bits instead.

The great bit of advice came from Bill of Bill's Model A Acres in Watsontown,PA. I just happened to drop in for some other parts. He explained that the hinge pin can wear a step on one side and you have to get past the step to get the pin out. So I tried knocking the pin out with the door hinge opened to various degrees and finally found a spot where it pin didn't grip the walls of the hinge. Then it was easy (see above paragraph one)>

If you haven't been to Bill's it's worth the trip just to drool over all the stuff he has put away in his barns. Many thanks, Bill.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote