View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Frame Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Thanks to Brentwood Bob, CabrioletDon
, Mister Moose, daren07
, for all your suggestions and information.

Brent - I have had a "Death Wobble" for some time and at end of July I decided to do something about it. The steering it self has not been smooth.

So I removed the backer plates to find that the drivers side of axle is oblong and thus the King Pin is rattling in it. I decided further that I would remove the steering column due to a lot of play in the steering wheel. When so doing I found that the two mounting holes were oblong sooooo...... while it was out why not try and repair it. By the way I also decided to disassemble the steering column rater then adjust it and check to see if everything was good in the column. Results are worm gear has two chips in it and one roller bearing has two rollers chipped. I most likely will replace the upper bearing race as it has some issues also.

Ok, I understand the back story now however the truth being told, the 'wobble' in the steering system had nothing to do with those two elongated bolt holes. There are all kinds of ways to repair the holes, -but none of them are worth stressing over on how you accomplish the repair simply because repairing those holes will do nothing towards making the vehicle drive better. That is why my opinion is to leave it alone for now and focus on other things that do need repairing.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote