View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
Robert/Texas

Default Re: What is a "reasonable" speed in a Model A for one to get "reasonable" engine life

Back in the 1950’s I bought a ’28 roadster from the granddaughter of the original owner for $100. It was stock except for 1932 wheels. I drove this car hard for a couple of years and one day I decided to see how fast it would go. It got up to about 65 and threw a rod through the oil pan, damaging the block. Rebuilt Model A short blocks were selling at Sears for $35 without exchange so I scrounged up the money and went there. This was my lucky day. Sears was selling out all their Model A stuff and short blocks were $5. They had three and the manager wanted me to take them all, but I only bought one. He gave me a free after-market carburetor and distributor to boot.

On the next Saturday two friends and I pulled the engine using a 2x4 and rope. We transferred everything from the old engine to the Sears one and reinstalled the engine in the same day. I never used the other parts that Sears gave me.

I drove the car for another year or so without any problems and then sold it to a younger guy. He had a Riley head that he was going to use on it and had cut down {instead of removing), all four fenders. The next time I went to see him he had joined the Navy.

A sad ending for this car, I never found out what happened to it after that. I got another ’28 roadster in 1989, rebuilt the engine some years ago and still have it. I never drive it over 45 MPH.

Robert

Last edited by Robert/Texas; 10-28-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: correction
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)