View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: No Start - Loud Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by aazz44 View Post
how did it run before installing the new carb/air filter?
it ran, but it ran rich with a rough idle. Also tended to backfire when coasting. This is rthe reason i thought it needed to be timed.

if at tdc cylinder 1 the rotor should look like the below, pointing to the distributor contact cylinder 1 spark plug?
it was pretty close to looking like that picture. Although move it a 1/4 of an inch to the left and it would be closer to mine.
something is wrong here, with the timing pin in the cam gear dimple the rotor should be as shown in the picture. Need to try this again and resolve this before going further. This is how cylinder 1 tdc is set/referenced so you can time dist cam/points properly.

when timing it did you place the spark advance lever fully up/retarded before performing the nurex timing.?
yes

did you gap the points before timing it.?
no. Is this a must?

for accurate timing set, yes. You get the points to open maximium, use a feeler gauge to measure the points gap an adjust for .016 - .020 inch gap.

used the timing pin method?

When it backfired was it a loud shotgun sound, or more of a slight popping sound?
loud.

i did just realize watching the youtube video on timing with the nu-rex wrench, i made the mistake and took the distributor cover off. Therefore when i turned the wrench twice, and lined up the "triangle", i stopped it on the #4 spark plug and not the #4 contact on the cover. I am guessing this could be the problem?

with tdc cylinder 1 located via the the timing pin/cam gear dimple, rotor in correct position. Remove the rotor, leave the dist body on (with 4 contacts), loosen the cam screw and follow instruction on the nurex. The tool uses contact 4 which is cylinder 4/spark plug 4. To review, cylinder 1 is closest to the radiator, cylinder 4 is closest to the fire wall.

also, if i already turned it twice but trying to time it, how do i go about timing it again? Do i start from step 1 and turn twice again?

easiest to explain is with cam screw slightly loose, turn 2 full turns again clockwise, use the nurex tool to keep cam from turning further while tightening the cam screw.

another tip is to remove all the spark plugs, when hand cranking you do not fight the compression of the cylinders.

wade

thanks,
mike a

30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote