View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear main leak part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondal View Post
Thanks Brent. I’ve never seen insert bearings, so I wasn’t sure. Im guessing replacing the seal would help with the leak.
Dale, yes replacing the seal will likely help stop your leak however you need to determine what caused the seal deterioration. Was the engine stored for a long time and then started with the seal rubber dry?

I cannot tell if that is a Terry Burtz one-piece seal, but if so you will need access to the entire rear flange of the crankshaft. Also, I would want to see how they are controlling the thrust of the crankshaft. That might have been a contributing factor for the seal failure. I do know that the craftsmanship on that engine seems very rough just judging by the reliefs that were "carved" in with a cut-off grinder for the insert shell tangs.

I will close by suggesting that you be cautious of the advice you are getting over on social media. You have everything from a former lawnmower mechanic to folks who don't even own a Model-A (-much less worked on one) giving you advice.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote