View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #12
Automotive Stud

Default Re: Zephyr overdrive into 1940 Ford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
I was at the Moonshine Festival a few years ago with my blue standard, Lincoln OD equipped '40. Powered by a 255 Merc flathead.
In fact we met, probably introduced by Charles B.
Anyway, my Lincoln OD was modified with a '50 merc solenoid & adapter, still utilizing the Lincoln tail housing & "U" joint. This mod tucks the solenoid higher into the X member. This plus 13" taken from torque tube & driveshaft connects things together. A little nibbling here & there makes it work. I kept the 3:78 gear & with 2,25-75x15 tires made a great road car.
My big deal was to keep things stock looking. I didn't want a shifter coming out of the floor. That plus I'm old & have had BW overdrives in just about every old car possible.
Don
Did the "adapter" where the solenoid mounts from a merc transmission bolt right on the lincoln transmission?

I have one of the merc transmissions in my roadster, and after sorting out the bugs I really like it! I recently came into a lincoln trans, and I'm getting ready to swap the motor and rebuild the trans in the '40, and this car is keeping the torque tube, so the lincoln trans is looking really promising. It still has the solenoid but my car is 12v.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote