View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Looking for a new job-maybe...

I'm 39 and have been working on, rebuilding, restoring early Fords since I was 18. I learned a lot buy diving into the work, reading and asking questions of the jobs I needed to perform. There has been a lot of failure along the way but I learned from that. Experience is the best way to learn.

I have Mac VanPelts transmission book. I can successfully rebuild an early Ford 3 speed transmission. I have taken down and rebuilt many flathead V8 engines with success. I have 3 total body off frame restorations under my belt and still going. I can rebuild a carburetor and fuel pump. I have visited with Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive and watched him rebuild my banjo rear end. I feel pretty confident in my ability to keep my cars and truck on the road.

The Early Ford V8 Club as been addressing this issue for years now. The big problem is getting young folks involved in the hobby. One of the limiting factors is no doubt money. It takes a good investment in tools, equipment and parts to maintain and restore these great cars and trucks. For some of us this in not a problem. However, I know for a great many young folks they have the skill set but not the ability to make the investment. I have at times thought about all the money I've spent on my cars and how much more I could have put into my IRA. Believe me it's a lot.

Early Fords have a lot of competition for the attention of young people. The internet, the year round participation in sports programs for example. We live in a world of instant self gratification. The early Ford hobby doesn't necessarily fit that mold.

I'm not worried that the hobby and the guys with the skill set to repair them will become extinct. There will just become fewer of us. Eventually guys like Michael Driskell and myself will grab the reins and take over. To pass the knowledge and help other folks with their V8 Fords. Michael has already done so and I have done this locally on a smaller scale. We do need to get folks young and old involved when they show an interest. Get your V8 out on the road and drive it around your community. If your car is too nice to drive, buy another of driver status. Just get out there and be seen. Weather permitting I drive a V8 or Model A so often I'm well known in my community as the "old car guy". People just expect it of me, they stop and ask me questions and I engage.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote