View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
ford38v8

Default Re: Install oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGG View Post
A couple of years ago I resurrected a 59AB style V-8 in a 1940 big farm truck. We used it last for many hours on my grandfathers farm in the 1960s. When I first changed the oil (stock by-pass system) I found NO restrictor in either the block outlet or the housing inlet. Inside the filter housing was only one .060 hole in the vertical outlet pipe. Since this is the only way the oil can get out of the filter, that had to be the restriction. Has anyone else encountered this?

While anything can happen, I'd be willing to bet that you are mistaken in your recollections of what you found a couple years ago. There are two main reasons that an inlet restrictor is needed and was supplied on the original filter system: ONE, without that restrictor on the inlet side, the pressure in the canister could otherwise build to overwhelm the top perimeter gasket or top bolt gasket, and TWO, upon changing the oil and filter, the engine would starve for oil till the cannister filled, finally to be restricted at the outlet.