View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
Joe K

Default Re: Can you hot wire a model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I hate to say this Kurt, but I don't think the points are grounded when the switch is off. I just went over the circuit and you may be right. It depends on the internal conductors in the switch. If it disconnects the switch from the coil while grounding the wire to the points , then it will work as you have pointed out. Jack
Page 214 Service Bulletins 2nd Test. (Continuity test of ground feature)

Quote:
Place one test point on the primary terminal "D" (Fig 441) [this would be the point arm/spring] inside the distributer as in the first test and the other point on the switch casing "B" [pop-out exterior as in ground] With the switch locked the lamp should burn. [i.e. circuit continuity from points to ground] With the switch unlocked the lamp should not burn. [i.e. circuit open]
Age, time, and cycling wear may remove the grounding feature. Many pop-outs were replaced due to loss of ignition. One imagines not so many (probably none) due to loss of grounding.

The Service Bulletin section also talks about disassembly of the pop-out - but always starts the exercise with the switch unlocked.

Joe K