View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #35
Bursonaw

Default Re: '37 Cad/LaSalle trans to 59A or 8BA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian King View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but since it died in 2015, I think it's ok.
Trying to put a 37 Cad LaSalle behind a flathead, in a 32 Ford, while retaining the original K member AND a closed drive line. The rough measurements tell me the Cad LaSalle, minus the stock tail shaft, is about 3" too long.
Do I have any hope here? Short of hacking up my K member, I don't see it happening.
Thanks for all your input.

Your measurements are correct about 3” longer. If you don’t want to mess with the K member you have one other option is to move the engine forward 3”, which has other issues. After doing quite a bit of research on this, there was a shortened input shaft available for this conversion that would make the transmission about 1 1/4” longer. I had searched for any information on shortening an input shaft, but I could not find anything except an old speed catalog that advertised them for sale. I was also able to talk with an old timer that had done the conversion back in the day as a bolt in and he vaguely remembered that’s what was done. You would still have modify your motor mounts to move the engine forward. I had also found that the Offenhauser adapter bell housing is not made for the shortened input shaft. You would need to modify or make a custom bell housing as well as clutch linkage. It is not impossible but certainly requires some engineering thought. I unfortunately learned all this the hard way. I spent a couple years acquiring about 90% of everything needed to do the same conversion, but when I found out that I needed to find or have an input shaft shortened I sold everything at a loss.

Good luck with your project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote