View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #403
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: 1955 Ford Club Sedan Refresh Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I see that you have removed the metal base from the floor that the factory had placed in the two-door cars for the rear seat bench and noticed that you have added the two keepers on the floor that the factory had placed in the four-door cars for the rear seat bench which was different from the bench of the two-door cars.
Doesn't that mean that you will need to modify the two side upholstery panels, eliminating the portion that sticks out that holds the ash-trays??? Why do all that?
For the record I have not removed anything from the floor although I did replace the floorpan at the front driver's side. The car was this way when I purchased it in the early 90's. There does not seem to be any indication of any material removed from either the floor or the walls on either side where the rear seat goes. The cardboard covers I removed from the walls (that cover that big opening for sheet metal and I guess is really is an access panel for hardware) seemed to be factory as well.

I am working on a Club Sedan, not a Victoria or Crown Victoria - those cars would have the metal base you speak of that would have run under the front of the rear seat horizontally from side to side. The Sunliner had one as well but it would have had the holes on either side for the top cylinders. I would imagine that the metal base would have been for added strengthening of hardtop cars and not so much the appearance. All sedans, whether or two door of four door, that I have disassembled in the past always had a rear seat configured this way.

I am not sure what you mean by the ash trays. All sedans have a flat interior panel and then if a 2 door did have an ash tray installed for rear passengers there was one on either side built into the armrest (since this is essentially not a door). 4 doors had only one ashtray built into the back of the front seat.

Again, I believe it was the hardtops and Sunliners that had an actual "bump out" from the wall on either side that incorporated an ash tray into the molded panel itself.

Trust me, I want no more work on this thing than what Ford gave me...