View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
bbrocksr

Default Re: cylinder sleevesMachine Shop question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1946 View Post
I stand to be corrected on this, and probably will be, but no matter. When I had my A model motor cleaned I was advised to have two 'rescue sleeves fitted. The method that was employed was to bore out the cylinder to a push fit size of the sleeve, but... leaving a ridge at the bottom of the orignal bore for the sleeve to fit up against and stop it protruding out the bottom of the bore. The top of the cylinder block was given a surface grind so removing any excess. Putting the head on held the every thing in place. Motor is then re bored to fit the piston. I have heard of them being shrink fitted, the block is heated in an oven, the sleeve put in a freezer, after a suitable number of hours sleeve fitted to the block, which has been under bored to fit the sleeve. The final method was to bore the block and pin the sleeve at the base through the cylinder walls.
Any one with other methods?
.0015 to .002 press fit with a shoulder at the bottom. Freeze sleeve, warm block and drive in with a Hardwood block then file flat or mill deck.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote