View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Deuce Coupe

Default How to Build a 1930 Model A Front Fender

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum to ask for information on how to build a 1930 Ford Front Fender from scratch. I was having trouble finding help with this, but I finally found a video on it so I thought I'd share what I found in case someone else might be interested.

Here's the video I found with the information I was desperately seeking:
The actual information starts at 4:10 on the video:

Video Instructions for Building the Fender

They actually have a part-2 that shows some of the actual metal working but the second video doesn't seem to have the sound on that part.

In any case, the information I desperately needed was on how to divide the fender up into workable sections. I knew I couldn't do it all in one piece. John Glover (the man in the video) actually shows how to build the fender in seven different sections and then welding them together. I was thinking along those same lines but it's nice to see how someone else did it. I'm sure there's more than one way to do this, but it's comforting to see someone else doing in it pieces like this.

I had previously found the Ron Covell videos for making a 1936 Ford Fender. He does that fender in only 3 pieces. But the 1930 front fender is quite a bit larger.

Here's the videos for the 1936 Ford Fender if anyone is interested in that.

Ron Covell 1936 Ford Fender
1936 Ford Fender Part-2
1936 Ford Fender Part-3

This is going to be my first attempt at actually making something like this. Of course I'll be making a lot of other parts as I learn as well. But I'm looking forward to trying to make my first Model A front fender. I'll be making the entire Model A car from scratch (actually a Model A Pick-up Truck). Assuming I finish it before my life is over.

I'm also planning on building wooden bucks like Ron Covell uses in his 1936 Fender Build. In fact, I'll be building wooden bucks for the whole car like he did for his roadster here:

Roadster Body Part-1

Of course I'll actually be building a 1930 Ford Model A pick-up truck.

I expect this will take a very long time to do, especially since it's just a hobby and I won't be working on it all the time. I also just bought some metal working tools: An English-wheel , a shrinker, a stretcher, and a bead roller. I already have welding equipment and hammers and dollies.

Unfortunately I don't have an actual 1930 Ford Model A pick-up truck to use as a template. So I'll need to make all my wooden bucks from scratch. I do have a copy of Google Skectchup and fortunately I was able to actually find a 1930 Ford Model A draw up in 3-D that I can disassemble and use for printing out my own patterns. So that's going to be a major project as well.

In the meantime I though I'd post my hopes and dreams here to help anyone else who might be taking on a similar project, and also to get any feedback from anyone who's done this sort of work.

If anyone knows of any videos, patterns, or plans for building a 1930 Ford Model A (any car or truck will do), I would very much appreciate it.

If I actually build all these wooden bucks and templates I'll most likely build more than one body as well. In fact, that's my ultimate plan is to build more than one of these. But only time will tell on that one.

Anyway thanks for reading. I hope you might have found something helpful here and all comments, suggestions, experience, and resources are more than welcome.
Deuce Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote