Thread: Awwe Crap!
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #79
Capt Kirk

Default Re: Awwe Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
This should be a wakeup call to all of us who do not have some type of safety device/mechanism in place to retain the wheel/hub/drum/end of axle assembly to prevent these parts from coming off the car in the event of a broken axle.
I'm going to look into some type of retention system to incorporate on the banjo rears of my orginal '35's with mecanical brakes. If I had hydraulic brakes like Ford used from '39 - '48, I would just go with the U shaped brackets like Vern Tardell originally came up with and are now available from many other sources, that bolt on the backing plates by using the wheel cylinder bolts. If I can't come up with some type of U shaped bracket approch, I will go with the two piece design that gets one piece welded on the internal part of the hub..
I read mention of a wheel retainer in a previous post and I understand the goal but am having difficulty envisioning how that can be accomplished.
I'm grateful that it broke when I was fully stopped...any other time could have been devastating...could have even resulted in a head on collision with the kind of traffic we have around here. I will be taking both axles to the machine shop for magnafluxing before they get installed.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote