Thread: Awwe Crap!
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #43
Capt Kirk

Default Re: Awwe Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I've already suggested this is not the way I would go about it, I would remove the whole axle assembly and go through it. However, if you want to go the one axle replacement only approach be sure you understand how the gaskets determine the backlash and bearing load. If the existing gaskets do not come off intact, then you need to be sure of the thickness of them. Any new gaskets must remain identical to the existing ones.

Some of this may help (if you can read it!). Found a slightly clearer copy of one of the pages.
Now that I have seen how the axles are mounted in the 3rd member, I am planning on removing the whole diff and torque tube so I can drag that in the garage and do it right. I'm hoping to not have to pull the pinion. I have done some reading today on using various thickness of gaskets for backlash and bearing preload. I don't have a dial indicator or mag base or any other specialized tools that may be necessary for this job. I was hoping that I could get away with replacing the gaskets with equal thickness new gaskets. I guess the final decision on how far I go into this will be made when I get it apart and see what I see.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote