Thread: 2-blade or 4?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #35
Joe K

Default Re: 2-blade or 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59f-100 View Post
In response to post #12; why is that an accident waiting to happen? I'm brand spanking new to the Model A hobby. The old but fresh rebuild on my Model A has a fan like #11 post. Is it the screws that I should be concerned about? Numerous posts mention the aluminum 2-blade updated model fan, but how do I know that's what I'm buying from the supplier? Can you refer me to a specific part and supplier?
Yours would appear to be the JCWhitney/Western Auto/Pep Boys replacement fan from the 1950s-60s.

I've had good service from two of my three. I mentioned replacing "self tapping screws" used on one of these with regular grade 5 hex head bolts (like the other two) I also mentioned a potential for "double" the bolt loading on the four blade version of this fan, which I view as an undesirable condition.

BUT - it would seem the new aluminum fans have now had the bugs gotten out of the pipeline. It probably does not matter which retailer you buy your two blade from - they're all from the same place. Probably China (what isn't these days?)

Which of these you use is certainly your choice - as it is mine. I'll probably use the Aluminum blade fan on my "best" (and first) Model A and reserve the JCWhitney fan for the second (in the making - the same one with drum bands and the 3.78 rear end and the huckins horn.)

I still have a four blade fan on my Gordon Smith Compressor - but I've replaced the rivets with bolts - and a failure will only cut through a homebrew sheet metal radiator cover. When I sandblast I usually stand at distance from the compressor.

I may think this out again as I certainly have spare JC Whitney fans.

Joe K