View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
MikeK

Default Re: Fuel pump question

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie123 View Post
Has anyone installed an in-line fuel pump? I just purchased one from one of the major Model-A suppliers. The directions say to connect the ground wire to the negative terminal on the pump. Is this assuming that the vehicle is negative ground? Since I am running positive ground should the ground wire go to the positive terminal? On another note, does anyone use the Ampco top cylinder lubricator. I remember seeing these advertised for use on older cars back in the 70's. What kind of oil is recommended to be used in them? Thanks for the information. This is a great site and I have learned a ton here. Howie
There were TWO brands of oilers, the Ampco and the "Marvel Inverse Oiler". The Marvel is quite superior to the Ampco in engineering design and theory of operation. I have a collection of new and used Marvel oilers.

The Ampco sucks oil based on engine vacuum, the higher the vac, like idle or decelerating, the more oil. Under load, with low vac, little or no oil is delivered! Overall oil feed is controlled by a simple screw valve.

The Marvel Inverse Oiler feeds oil inversely to the engine vacuum. Low vacuum (heavy engine load) more oil, high vac, much less feed. The early supercharger guys couldn't live without this thing! Perfect also for trucks and A's, which are subject to lots of lugging and heavy throttle, low vacuum operation. The oil flow is regulated by a calibrated, adjustable inverse regulator, not a simple screw valve.

One design of the Marvel "Inverse" oiler. LINK about Marvel Inverse Oilers
Note the regulation adjustment on top and the glass sight window to monitor the rate.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote