View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #14
DougVieyra

Default Re: Remember that first Model A?

My first "Model A" was a 1928 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - that was in 1963. I deliberately wanted to avoid a Model A because they were so plentiful and still used as daily drivers by a few 'old timers'.
The '28 Chevy had a bigger trunk than the Ford, solid disc wheels, wooden steering wheel, and a few up-grades that a Ford lacked.
However, the Ford had one thing that the Chevy did not have. LOTS of spare parts - everywhere ! As I was using the '28 Chevy as an everyday 'driver', that was an important issue. So when the axle-shaft on the Chevy broke ( a common occurrence on Chevy's) and I could not locate another (many decades before the 'Google' internet search), I sold the car to Bill Harrah in Reno.
So in 1964 I bought my first Ford Model A - a November 1927 Tudor. Chevrolet and others called this body style a 'Coach'. I drove that car for about two years, while at the same time I acquired my Grandfather's December 1928 Ford Touring, which I had grown up with. I still have that car today, having restored it with my good buddy of the time, Marco Tahtarras, in about 1978-'79. And like then, it is still my daily driver.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote