Thread: Brake centering
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Brake centering

While I’m sure there is a right way to center the brakes (and possibly easier) what I did since I had to build up the front brake roller tracks is when I was grinding them flat, while trial fitting, I got the up and down fitment as close as possible. Then I installed the front brake wedge stud floater kit (Bratton’s #2870) for the front to rear alignment of the shoes.

On the rear I also had to build up the brake roller tracks but just ground them down to specs. Then I installed Flat Head Ted’s shoe centering pins. I like these because not only do they help center the shoes but since they are flat they have much more contact area on the roller tracks than the stock round pins, thus the tracks should wear evenly.

All this I basically had to teach myself as I went along because as you stated there isn’t much info on centering the shoes (that I could find). It is certainly NOT a job you can rush, especially for the first time. Gives a new meaning to "Brake Job". I found the “How to Stop on a Dime” video a waste of time and money.

After a couple miles (hundreds?) I plan to pull the drums and see how everything is seating in.

Chris, hope some of the above helps you. I'm open to suggestions from others. Or if I'm full of crap you can tell me that too...

It does STOP good!!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote