View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
zzlegend

Default Re: Bonneville to wet again, bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If you think the last few years have been bad, you should be able to see how it has declined since the early 50's.
Back then it was easy to lay out a 10 mile circle for endurance running. Now they are lucky to get 7 miles of usable track in a straight line.
Back then the whole salt bed was so hard, you could drive a 20 penny nail in half way, bend it over and not break the edge of the salt. Now, you can drive the nail clear down with one easy stroke. No way on bending it over.
The Save the Salt organization has been partially helpful in reducing the decline in surface quality but they can only do so much.

http://www.savethesalt.org/coalition.html
I hear what you are saying Pete. When I went in 03 it did not look the best but not near as bad as it does now. The streamliner team I was on went over 400MPH app. 30 some times.
The best was 462. A lot of people think the 400 MPH runs are going to become a thing of the past. I hope not, and there are a few new top contender streamliners wanting to come out and run this year. Perhaps the cook meet will happen. We will see in a few more weeks. The save the salt group has a rough road ahead of them.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote