View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #3
bobH

Default Re: Procedure adjust valve..HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is for a engine with normal cylinder identification. Our Flatheads fire the same but call the cylinder different. Do you have adjustable lifters? It takes removing the valves if you don't have adjustable lifters.Remove the intake and have a look. Hopefully ,you have adjustables and the lifter bosses are drilled.
I made a little wheel with the firing order layed out that I attached to the shaft where the rotor goes. You need to make a pointer that screws into a front cover bolt hole. You can adjust both valves in one cylinder if that cylinder is at firing position.
As Andy posted, the 'attachment' PDF procedure is for a different engine.
There have been various ways to set valves posted here. Andy posted one way, with cylinder at firing position, set both valves for that cylinder.

Note FORD firing order, 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2, with cylinders on right bank numbered 1-2-3-4, and left bank numbered 5-6-7-8.

Another procedure that has been posted, When exh begins to open, set int, and when int begins to close, set exh.

A third procedure, been posted here, and appears in old Motor Manuals, and in old Ford service manuals...
With 4X & 1N valves OPEN, SET 3X-8N-6N-7X-3N-2X
With 3X & 8N valves OPEN, SET 1X-7N-5X-2N-4X-1N
With 1X & 7N valves OPEN, SET 8X-5N-6X-4N

Other sequences for setting valves have been posted or published. One involves DEGREEING the valves... This is more than I'm going to post here.
Watch for errors here - I've been known to make mistakes.
Just opinion.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote