View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
Papa's CCPU

Default Re: Ford Factory Painting Prep?

Thanks guys for the info, I really appreciate it!

I recall the reference of "baked" or drying oven many years ago regarding the dipped parts, no luck on the body though!

Both of the books referenced are on my to-order list....but The Paint & Refinish Guide was next on my list to purchase so I could see just what Commercial Drab really looks like....does anyone have a good picture???

Tudortomnz, does the DeAngelis book reference any use of a primer?

Charles Coe, this description is what I had heard of before.

Brent, now I am curious, would a Commercial vehicle also get the 30/70 layer before buffing, since that choice was an extra cost!

I originally asked the question because I found what looks like a red oxide layer on my tailgate. Other parts of my truck had been blasted and primed in Red Oxide back in the late 60's, but the tailgate looks like they hadn't go to it yet.....It has 3 different colors on top of that, the first being Red, then a Green which is lighter then Rock Moss Green, then a bad coat of Black that was chipping off with a whitish layer beneath it. Since I didn't expect I had anything with original paint on it, I wondered what to look for!
Common sense tells me that the gate had been previously re-done, and painted Red at some point, followed by the other colors later in its life before it would up with my brother and I in 1970...
Papa's CCPU is offline   Reply With Quote