The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My Cardiologist (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333187)

rfitzpatrick 11-19-2023 09:59 AM

My Cardiologist

My heart doctor said I need to drive a Model A Ford for 20 miles to get the same physical benefits I get from walking 2 miles !!
But, just 10 Model T miles -- same results.

ronn 11-19-2023 10:11 AM

Re: My Cardiologist

wagon with you pulling it- 1/2 a mile!

WHN 11-19-2023 10:56 AM

I’ve never looked at it that way. However, I do agree it is a lot of work, but a lot of fun to.

Looking down that hood, seeing the headlights, radiator grill top, never gets old. Even after 65 years of driving them.

Enjoy.

woofa.express 11-19-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 2270857)
My heart doctor said I need to drive a Model A Ford for 20 miles to get the same physical benefits I get from walking 2 miles !!

I like it.

Joe K 11-19-2023 01:04 PM

You could stop for ice cream - and undo all the advantage.

You'll just have to drive some more.

Joe K

JayJay 11-19-2023 03:22 PM

I think we need to parse out the cardiologist's analysis. For example, stop and go traffic in a Model A I think probably it's an even mile-for-mile trade if not fewer miles for the Model A versus walking. Two lane, reasonably straight back roads - 20 miles seems about right. Twisty mountain roads - back more towards traffic.

LA or Bay Area freeway in a Model A - not recommended. Gets the heart rate elevated without corresponding aerobic benefit.

But no matter what the roads, definitely more fun driving the Model A than simply walking for exercise. And if it's fun, you're more likely to do it!

mhsprecher 11-19-2023 07:27 PM

How about when your car breaks down and you have to walk home?

updraught 11-19-2023 08:05 PM

Bouncing up and down on the sprung seat works out the core muscles?

Bob Bidonde 11-20-2023 10:09 AM

Driving a Model "A" stimulates all of the human senses, so I suggest you copy this post and show it to your doctors who think you need more exercise.

Visually we are keen to see who is tailgating behind us, who is alongside us and will potentially cut in front of us. We are keen to sense the car in front that will make a last minute decision to cut into the hamburger joint. Scary are the nighttime reflections on the windshield that look like an eminent head-on collision is about to happen. Annoying is the persistent fog formation on the windshield that blocks our vision and causes one-hand to come off of the steering wheel to frantically wipe the fog away when it rains. Even more exciting is when you are wiping fog off and you need to downshift for a corner.

Noises are plentiful, but we are keen to hear a bearing knock, valve clatter, an exhaust leak and a strange vibration noise. Perhaps the scariest noises are made by the jerk who pulls alongside and blasts his horn to say he admires your car, and the motorcycle that roars past with no muffler.

Smells get our attentions, especially the smell of hot crankcase fumes from the oil breather, the smell of gasoline leaking from carburetor, the smell of antifreeze boiling over and the smell of exhaust fumes from the leaking manifold connection.

Touch & Feel also get stimulated as we are keen to detect motor vibrations, clutch chatter, the sticky steering wheel on a damp & rainy day. Urinary Tract stimulation is unavoidable. If you have a hard time emptying your bladder, just take a ride in a Model "A". Thanks to the vibrations, none of your limbs go to sleep when driving a Model "A", and they keep your heart pumping. It is exciting when a bump in the road makes you airborne. Not to be overlooked, the contortion you get into getting into and out of the driver's seat stimulates muscle cramps. It rarely occurs, but hand-cranking the "A" to start it is good for a muscle pull, and if the engine kicks-back, a hurt thumb is a possibility.

Taste is last because it is uncommon in the Model "A" experiences. However, I met a few old timers who tasted the dip stick to check if the oil was good. There are folks who taste strange liquids dripping from the "A" to find-out what they are.

So the next time you see your cardiologist or general practitioner, tell them how stimulating it is to the whole body to take a drive in a Model "A" Ford!

katy 11-20-2023 10:27 AM

This establishment has no physical fitness program,
Everyone gets plenty of exercise,
Jumping to conclusions,
Flying off the handle,
Running down the boss,
Knifing friends in the back,
Polishing the apple,
Pushing their luck.

Raaf 11-21-2023 02:54 PM

Double clutching is quite a work out!

Too bad it's only one leg.

ModelA29 11-21-2023 04:14 PM

We never needed gyms before all cars got power steering, power brakes, automatics, air conditioning and reliable batteries and starters.

cars2cool 11-22-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raaf (Post 2271387)
Double clutching is quite a work out!

Too bad it's only one leg.

I drove my dad's '29 Sport Couple in a parade years ago and a heck of a lot younger. Told myself never again because of that. My brother did the same a few years later on a much shorter parade. He asked if it was feasible to put in an automatic transmission.

Model "A" Fords 11-22-2023 11:32 AM

My Dad always said that his Model AA truck had power steering. When asked about it, he said, it takes all the the power in your arms to steer it!
The effort was substantial as I remember, and would only require 1 mile for every ten of the Model A car to get the same cardio workout.

Sunny the Model A 11-23-2023 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 2271106)
this establishment has no physical fitness program,
everyone gets plenty of exercise,
jumping to conclusions,
flying off the handle,
running down the boss,
knifing friends in the back,
polishing the apple,
pushing their luck.

amen!

Bruce of MN 11-24-2023 05:24 AM

Wrestling with your conscience?

burner31 11-26-2023 05:55 PM

My shrink said almost the same thing...

Oldgearz 11-26-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 2270857)

If all you folks agree with this, I must be a MASTER MECHANIC cause my coupe steers, turns and brakes relatively easily. I think you should get another doctor, OR....walk for two miles and then take a 20 mile drive!

JayJay 11-26-2023 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldgearz (Post 2272507)
If all you folks agree with this, I must be a MASTER MECHANIC cause my coupe steers, turns and brakes relatively easily. I think you should get another doctor, OR....walk for two miles and then take a 20 mile drive!

And that word is the key... :)

I was talking to a guy yesterday about the F-150 steering box conversions. I have driven one and didn't see that much advantage over stock. He accused me of being young and spry. Well, 70 and kinda dumpy is more how I view myself, but I'll take what I can get.

700rpm 11-28-2023 01:20 AM

I’ve said for 60 years that I have to drive my A ‘s with all five senses, plus both feet and both hands. It makes me a safer driver. :-)