The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fuel pump push rod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325614)

41 fatty 04-16-2023 10:42 AM

fuel pump push rod

I was thinking about drilling and tapping a hole on top of my fuel pump push rod for an adjustment screw that will make contact with my fuel pump as it no longer does since my stock 41 flathead has been rebuilt. The pushrod is the correct 8.87" for 35-48 Fords. It appears my cam lobe had been reworked during rebuild.Any words of advice or cautions will help as I cannot pull fuel to mypump otherwise.

flatjack9 04-16-2023 10:50 AM

Re: fuel pump push rod

I seriously doubt that the pump lobe would be ground. Do you have a glass bowl on your pump? If so, I would suspect the gasket is not sealing the bowl properly.

marko39 04-16-2023 11:11 AM

Does the pushrod move up and down when cranking the engine? Somewhere in my stash I have a small container that has caps for pushrods to slightly lengthen them.

cadillac512 04-16-2023 11:28 AM

If you've changed the intake manifold to one with a taller pump mounting surface this can happen. Also, if the rod isn't moving, check to see if the rear cam bearing is partly covering the edge of the bore the pushrod sits in. Lots of times the rear bearing is driven in too far and this occurs. Of course the pushrod still contacts the pump arm, just doesn't move.

Terry

41 fatty 04-16-2023 02:40 PM

i've tried 2 different fuel pumps (rebuilt), one with glass bowl sealed good, one original style w/ no glass bowl. I,ve tried leather spacers too with no suction. i have original intake, new block same type. I'm going to try a new fuel pump and new push rod because I'm getting no action when i hook the fuel hose up to either pump and cycle them by hand. I appreciate comments.

cadillac512 04-16-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41 fatty (Post 2219274)
i've tried 2 different fuel pumps (rebuilt), one with glass bowl sealed good, one original style w/ no glass bowl. I,ve tried leather spacers too with no suction. i have original intake, new block same type. I'm going to try a new fuel pump and new push rod because I'm getting no action when i hook the fuel hose up to either pump and cycle them by hand. I appreciate comments.

Have you cranked the engine with the fuel pump removed and the rod installed to see if it moves?

Bruce_MO 04-16-2023 05:02 PM

I forget the specific number, but I think the stroke of the pushrod is supposed to be about 0.20". That should be easy to see and you could confirm it with a dial indicator.

FlatheadTed 04-16-2023 06:36 PM

Check out were they likely had a Electric Fuel back at the tank ,I have one were working on by the look of the joint and clamps this one would be a non starter ( a leak stain ) ,suckin air ,your flex hose at the pump can be porous to , Ted

koates 04-17-2023 02:54 AM

Check how far the push rod moves up while turning the engine over slowly. Should be 1/10" of an inch. Some new fuel pumps non genuine have far too much movement in the actuating arm and dont pump anything. Regards, Kevin.

41 fatty 04-18-2023 06:28 PM

thanks to all. I will post my results after yet another fuel pump rebuild and a new push rod as mine shows indication of wear.:)

Phil Gillespie 04-18-2023 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41 fatty (Post 2219921)
thanks to all. I will post my results after yet another fuel pump rebuild and a new push rod as mine shows indication of wear.:)

AS previous people have suggested, have you actually verified push rod does move up and down when engine is spun over???
Phil NZ

40ford 04-19-2023 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41 fatty (Post 2219921)

Did you listen to Kube about adding leather to cup on fuel pump?

Kens 36 04-19-2023 08:31 AM

He said he did in Post #5.

41 fatty 04-28-2023 08:04 AM

leveled off the car as i was defying gravity before. removed the spark plugs to get a stronger spin, and demonstrated patience before the fuel bowl filled. ok now. thanx to all!

Ziggster 04-28-2023 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce_MO (Post 2219319)
I forget the specific number, but I think the stroke of the pushrod is supposed to be about 0.20". That should be easy to see and you could confirm it with a dial indicator.

I went through measuring my pushrods (orig & both new ones from Speedway), intake heights (cast vs alum), and stroke length just a few days ago. The stroke I measured with my “orig” reground cam was about 0.170”. More info here. Post #513.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...131795/page-18

Bubsyouruncle 04-30-2023 10:14 PM

To lengthen a push rod you could take an empty casing from a 38 caliber cartridge, grind the base where the primer is located to the amount of lift you want, and drop it on the rod.

Oh, be sure to use a fired cartridge, not a new one!

FlatheadTed 04-30-2023 11:20 PM

Be sure to avoid the pump with a slotted bush that drives the arm .

Ziggster 05-01-2023 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatheadTed (Post 2222820)
Be sure to avoid the pump with a slotted bush that drives the arm .

Could you please provide more detail?

FlatheadTed 05-02-2023 05:41 PM

There's a pump out there that has a slot were the tradinial pump just has a bush ,and is hinged ,this other type has a full length arm ,I can see how it works the arm jiggles up and down or when the diaphragms up it disengages the action ,5psi to .

Daves55Sedan 05-02-2023 06:32 PM

Not that this will effect you right now, since you have discovered your immediate problem, but I have a '55 Ford Courier sedan delivery that I often let sit all winter long in the garage. In the spring, I have to move it out to get the roto-tiller out but when I go to start the car, I have found that the fuel supply line to the pump has cavitated (either by evaporation or fuel flowing back into the gas tank). Every year I have to disconnect the flex fuel hose to the supply side of the pump and get a small funnel to re-fill the fuel line with gas. Once that is done, you can start anytime and drive anywhere, until next time I leave it setting abandoned for six months. Maybe it just gets lonely sitting out there.