The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Choke rod assembly (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321674)

PalAl 12-22-2022 11:13 AM

Choke rod assembly

Merry Christmas everyone!
I'm helping a friend with a 30 Coupe, turns out they have a complete B engine, the choke rod assembly has been hodgepodged with some sort of farm creation. My question is will the standard hand choke assembly work attaching to a model B carburator? I thought I have heard you need some sort of adaptor. Any information would be appreacited, pictures and parts sorce would be a great help. I will continue to scan the web for answers, I know someone out there has done this and has the master of choke rods. LOL
Thanks for reading. Have a healthy new year.

[email protected] 12-22-2022 11:35 AM

Re: Choke rod assembly

Vendors sell a Model B adapter kit for using the standard A type fuel line and the flange mounting bolts have a waist milled in them to allow the carb to be slightly rotated to accept the choke rod alignment. I have been running a B carb on my 29 CCPU with this set up.

PalAl 12-22-2022 11:42 AM

Fuel line has been adapted and is fine, are the flange mounting bolts sold separately by all the vendors or is this a "special part? Is this Dave...LOL

[email protected] 12-22-2022 11:54 AM

A9510-K Snyder’s p/n. Dave

The Master Cylinder 12-22-2022 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 2190851)
Fuel line has been adapted and is fine, are the flange mounting bolts sold separately by all the vendors or is this a "special part? Is this Dave...LOL

Renner's Corner sells the stud kit along with other vendors. Renner's part #B-9510-S

Joe K 12-22-2022 03:04 PM

I suppose "overdrilling" the intake manifold flange bolt holes would be cheaper - although it does modify an original part.

The kit does not address the front to back "tilt" of the Model B carb, but this was more a feature of the intake manifold being designed to match the "tilt" of the Model B engine as it is mounted in the frame.

Using a Model A intake manifold you should be fine. Adapting a Model B intake manifold to a Model A engine may present problems with fuel flow since the carburetor will be "tilted forward." (i.e. bowl low)

Funny, I haven't noticed any issues with fuel flow on my Model B Gordon Smith air compressor - which is mounted EXACTLY horizontal in it's tank/frame/stand.

So maybe not so much issue.

Joe K

PalAl 12-22-2022 04:20 PM

Dave thank you for the quick reply and information

PalAl 12-22-2022 04:21 PM

Thank you for the information and quick response. Ends up being a simple fix

PalAl 12-22-2022 04:24 PM

Thank you for the quick response, looks like turning down the threads below the bolt head and a little elongation of the gasket holes will just about give me the 7-deg. needed to align the choke rod.

PalAl 12-22-2022 04:27 PM

This is a great forum, so much experience and people willing to share their knowledge. Thank you to all, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays...
May the new year bring you good health and a smooth-running Model A

CWPASADENA 12-22-2022 07:00 PM

If you grind a slight taper on the very end of the choke rod, this will help with any residual misalignment you may have, and you will still be able to slide the sleeve down over the connection.

Chris W.

Fhane 12-22-2022 07:49 PM

Stuart Model A 772 341 8291 sells a carburetor to manifold adapter so the Model A choke rod works with a Model B engine. Or use a Model A intake manifold.

J Franklin 12-23-2022 12:29 AM

Try it before you buy a fix. I put a B carb on my A with no modification and was ablre to use the choke. It was only a bit stiff.

MrBruce 12-23-2022 08:21 AM

I've run the B set up for over 40 years and all I did is drilled the intake holes just slightly and never had a problem.