The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone recognize these? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316850)

clifforddward 08-11-2022 12:35 PM

Anyone recognize these?

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone recognize these two parts? I found them buried in the trunk of my recently acquired 1931 68C Cabriolet...I've searched the various books and magazines I have and cannot see anything like these parts. I did not want to miss something before casting these aside.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Best Regards,
Cliff

burner31 08-11-2022 10:45 PM

Re: Anyone recognize these?

I'm no expert...but it looks like a bracket for a drop-in removable item, such as a seat, panel or other component.
Another point to consider is it may not be a Model A part, don't throw it away, stash it away, because you never know.

lrf 08-12-2022 01:31 AM

Throw it away and next week you'll need it! Murphy's Law #4,848,340 :)

katy 08-12-2022 10:39 AM

Looks like a whatchamacallit for a fitzall gizmo.

CHuDWah 08-12-2022 04:15 PM

The one in the bottom of the picture is a very nice condition stainless Dual-Rule used for imperial and metric measurement of unknown parts. :D

burner31 08-12-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHuDWah (Post 2156699)
The one in the bottom of the picture is a very nice condition stainless Dual-Rule used for imperial and metric measurement of unknown parts. :D

Ok, you win this round....

jetmek 08-13-2022 09:08 AM

Parts for a trunk rack maybe

clifforddward 08-15-2022 08:55 AM

Thanks Folks...I'll just toss these in my scrap metal bin....that way I can struggle to search for them 6 months from now when I figure out what they are and need them for a project....HaHa!

Colonial coupe 08-15-2022 04:55 PM

The bottom one is a bracket to mount a toolbox on the front of 30/31 Model A. You would need 2 plus some other parts and a craftsman tool box. I used to make them from an article in the Restorer magazine 30 some odd years ago. It let you easily remove the toolbox to hand crank the car, but it could be a real knuckle buster if you weren't careful. A few are still floating around here on friends cars.

Colonial coupe 08-15-2022 04:59 PM

Look at the ones on your toolbox

Brian SATX 08-15-2022 09:20 PM

Agree with Colonial Coupe. I have one of the toolboxes on front also. The slot is so you can slide it back and lift the box off.

updraught 08-15-2022 09:55 PM

Find an eight inch floppy disc to give to the next owner.

Tell him it has important stuff on it.

But you don't know what it is, so don't throw it away.

clifforddward 08-16-2022 07:10 AM

Tool Box Bracket...half of a pair needed to install...makes sense, and yes, something I'll never use, but as I am half hoarder I'll probably never through it away from the metal bin either...

Eight inch floppy...now that is old!...size had been reduced to 5-1/4" by the time I came along...

katy 08-16-2022 10:33 AM

The only floppy discs that I'm aware of are 3-1/2".

clifforddward 08-16-2022 11:23 AM

Oh katy, what a youngster you are...first commonly used floppy discs were 8" units replacing tape storage in the late 60s....then reduction in size to 5-1/4" around 1976 or so....by the early 80s 3-1/2" became the norm until those "new fangled" compact discs came on the scene in the late 80s.

I suppose one would have to go to eBay or some vintage store to find an 8" reader these days...

For bonus points does anybody remember the screaming speed or storage capacity of those early 8" discs?....I'm sure any device today holds geometrically more data.

burner31 08-17-2022 11:06 AM

My first encounter with a "floppy disk" was the plastic lid to the Cisco can of cooking shortening that my Mom had in the kitchen.
We used those as flying disc's, and yes they were kind of floppy, of course this was years and years before anyone heard of a "Frisbee"

I'm not old, it's just that you are way to young

CHuDWah 08-17-2022 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifforddward (Post 2157752)
Oh katy, what a youngster you are...first commonly used floppy discs were 8" units replacing tape storage in the late 60s....then reduction in size to 5-1/4" around 1976 or so....by the early 80s 3-1/2" became the norm until those "new fangled" compact discs came on the scene in the late 80s.

I suppose one would have to go to eBay or some vintage store to find an 8" reader these days...

For bonus points does anybody remember the screaming speed or storage capacity of those early 8" discs?....I'm sure any device today holds geometrically more data.

And compact discs have been pretty much obsoleted by USB drives. Dunno about speed (no doubt slow) but Mr Google says the first commercially available 8-inch floppy disk had a whopping 175KB capacity. I remember my first desktop with a hard drive was 20MB - thought that was so huge I'd never need anything bigger! :D

External USB drives for CD and 3.5 floppy are available.

CHuDWah 08-17-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian SATX (Post 2157619)
Agree with Colonial Coupe. I have one of the toolboxes on front also. The slot is so you can slide it back and lift the box off.

Not questioning the purpose of the bracket but wouldn't the slotted hole allow the toolbox to slide and/or rock when the car is in motion?