The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil Pump Stuck (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298767)

dmaxweb 05-19-2021 06:20 AM

Oil Pump Stuck

Someone in the past used a square head pipe plug in the side of the block. It was in there tight and needed a good heft with a wrench to remove it . In the process the very end of the plug broke off. After dropping the pan, the oil pump will not come out. Presumably the end of the plug is tight to the oil pump. What's the best way to remove the end of the plug without damaging the threads in the block?

old31 05-19-2021 07:32 AM

Re: Oil Pump Stuck

Do you have a picture? is any of the plug actually out of the block where you could grab it?

If it is flush you will have to drill it and use an ez out product.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-19-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 2018018)
Someone in the past used a square head pipe plug in the side of the block. It was in there tight and needed a good heft with a wrench to remove it . In the process the very end of the plug broke off. After dropping the pan, the oil pump will not come out. Presumably the end of the plug is tight to the oil pump. What's the best way to remove the end of the plug without damaging the threads in the block?

I have encountered similar scenarios with that plug. My fix is/was to set the block up on its side against a couple of angleplates on the Mill, and use a left-handed drill bit and peck drill it out. You generally will need to drill all the way thru the plug since it is tapered thread but if you can get it to loosen even slightly, this will allow the Ez-Out to make it come out easier without the chance of breaking the Ez-Out.

As for not damaging the threads, I fear the threads are already damaged by now being oversized.

dmaxweb 05-19-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 2018046)
Do you have a picture? is any of the plug actually out of the block where you could grab it?

If it is flush you will have to drill it and use an ez out product.

It's below the surface. I may be just the very end of plug.

burner31 05-19-2021 08:32 AM

Is the engine in or out of the car?

dmaxweb 05-19-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 2018049)
I have encountered similar scenarios with that plug. My fix is/was to set the block up on its side against a couple of angleplates on the Mill, and use a left-handed drill bit and peck drill it out. You generally will need to drill all the way thru the plug since it is tapered thread but if you can get it to loosen even slightly, this will allow the Ez-Out to make it come out easier without the chance of breaking the Ez-Out.

As for not damaging the threads, I fear the threads are already damaged by now being oversized.

The motor is in the car and would prefer not pulling it to get the plug out. The plug was 1/8" NPT which I believe is correct. What about using a left hand bit with a diameter smaller than the plug? I guess drilling it out oversize for a 1/8" NPT helicoil would also work. With either method, my concern is getting the hole straight with a hand drill.

1939mars 05-19-2021 11:53 AM

I have had luck with welding a nut to the top of the broken bolt, though at the time the engine was out of the car and I could use gravity to keep the nut in place prior to and during welding. You may have to do something creative to keep it in place. The heat from the weld can help break the bolt free as well I am told.

alexiskai 05-19-2021 12:13 PM

The OP says on the other web forum that the issue is resolved. Pump was stuck just on its own. Came out with penetrating oil and gentle tapping.

redmodelt 05-19-2021 10:35 PM

Thats good, because if it just was a normal plug, it would not have been holding the oil pump in anyway.