The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why do Lincoln brake drums have one pointed stud? Bruce? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221876)

Jason in TX 06-01-2017 02:09 PM

Why do Lincoln brake drums have one pointed stud? Bruce?

2 Attachment(s)
I've always wondered why the Lincoln brake drums have one pointed stud, like a pointed spike, where the other 4 studs are normal like a Ford.

Anyone know the answer?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1496344103

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1496344103

Ross F-1 06-01-2017 02:11 PM

Re: Why do Lincoln brake drums have one pointed stud? Bruce?

Looks like it sticks out further, to make it easier to align the wheel on the studs?

hotcoupe 06-01-2017 02:16 PM

I don't know the answer, but i'll give you $10.00 for that brake drum. You gotta pay the shipping though.
Tom

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Bruce Lancaster 06-01-2017 02:37 PM

I think almost certainly that gave an easy place to hang the wheel while fumbling for the lugnuts while changing a flat. Fomoco owner's manuals covered tire change...see what a Lincoln one says. It might just cover this.

V12Bill 06-02-2017 08:18 PM

It was to aid in aligning the wheel to the drum and studs. Lincolns had bigger tires and thus heavier wheel and tire combo. Don't know why it was on the front only.

Mart 06-03-2017 03:44 AM

Some cars (some Fiats, I think) have wheel bolts. but one of the two small bolts that hold the disc in place has a pointy end on. There are four small holes between the wheel bolt holes. It's so you can easily get the wheel hanging there while you start the wheel bolts. I'd guess the Lincoln is the same, and as the top line model, it was worth the expense to provide the helper stud. Higher volume and cheaper Fords and Mercs wouldn't warrant the expense.

Purely guessing here, but maybe (as the more expensive model), the pointy stud is aligned with the wheel valve and balanced as an assembly. Better balance for the more expensive model. Again, just guessing, but that could possibly explain the use only on the front.

Thanks for the original post, i never knew the Lincolns were like that.

Mart.

51 MERC-CT 06-03-2017 04:18 AM

Another guess, someone ordered the pointed studs by mistake and Henry decided to randomly install them one by one until they were used up. :)

PeteVS 06-03-2017 06:06 AM

My '65 VW had wheel bolts instead of studs. It was so nice because you could put the first bolt in while the wheel was on the ground and then just lift it up, pivoting one that one bolt until the other holes lined up.

HemiDeuce 06-03-2017 10:18 PM

Maybe it was because in the forties wheels and tires were balanced on the car and you could mark the wheel where the pointed stud was, and reassemble the wheel and tire on the same pointed stud to maintain your balance.
Anyways that's what I've been doing for years.

MGG 06-03-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDeuce (Post 1481186)
Maybe it was because in the forties wheels and tires were balanced on the car and you could mark the wheel where the pointed stud was, and reassemble the wheel and tire on the same pointed stud to maintain your balance.
Anyways that's what I've been doing for years.

I like this balance possibility. I also think it made it slightly easier to install the wheel. Turn the drum so that the pointed stud is at the top and line up your wheel so that one hole is up. Now tip the top of the wheel in so the top hole in the wheel slips over the pointed stud. The rest of the holes should now easily line up and fit onto the remaining 4 studs.

Jason in TX 06-05-2017 10:27 AM

I can see the on car ballance being a possibility and the stud is a reference point.

Anyone know if Lincoln rims have a mark on them also, perhaps for lining up to this stud?

woodiewagon46 06-05-2017 01:39 PM

Another Ford mystery. One has to ask, if it was to aid assembly line installation of the wheels, why they didn't use them on Ford cars. They sold a lot more Fords than Lincolns. Same with the balancing thought.

Mart 06-05-2017 02:39 PM

^ Cost. Lincolns were a top of the line luxury car. It cost a few cents per car to have the odd stud. Worthwhile on the expensive Lincoln, not worth it on the Ford. Ford would do anything he could to save a few cents on the Ford.

(If the balance/ease of fitment advantage theory is correct)

Mart.