The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Solenoid on a Model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213900)

31a 01-30-2017 11:19 PM

Solenoid on a Model A

I am building a Pasture find Model A pickup, using some unusual stuff. dash has a hole for the push button, because of a large hole where the starter rod goes. Looking for suggestions for wiring the solenoid, and working with the starter button.

Kurt in NJ 01-31-2017 12:00 AM

Re: Solenoid on a Model A

1 Attachment(s)
When I made my Smiths compresser I used parts that I wouldn't use on a car---the generator has pitting about 1/2 the thickness of the housing---and the starter already had this solenoiid modification---works good

jkeesey 01-31-2017 08:17 AM

Is it going to run 6 or 12v?

JohnLaVoy 01-31-2017 10:00 AM

When the Model A was built a solenoid starter was offered made by Moto-Matic, we are working on an article on the various aftermarket starter accessories and it will be in the next Model A Times.

CarlG 01-31-2017 12:02 PM

When I was 15 on my first vehicle ever (a Model A, of course), I installed a solenoid and push button for the starter. Not rocket science.

100IH 01-31-2017 01:48 PM

Some solenoids have 2 small terminals. One is for energizing the solenoid which closes the heavy contacts inside for feeding the starter, but then the starter needs a post for a cable to connect to. The other small post is for ignition by-pass which would not be needed and would not close the contacts anyway. So either single or double post would work. Power goes from bat. to solenoid, solenoid to starter. The switch needs power in and out, goes to the energize post.

31a 01-31-2017 03:06 PM

6 volt I have a 6v solenoid, know how the solenoid works just need ideas on starter button thanks

Synchro909 01-31-2017 05:08 PM

I'd be surprised if your local parts supply store doesn't have an after market button suitable for the purpose. Maybe one for a horn. Alternatively, ignition switches with a "start" position were available from vendors a while ago but I haven't seen them for a while.

Willie Krash 01-31-2017 05:55 PM

If you're gonna do this I would use a Ford tractor solenoid. Your push button is supplied current to the button. The other side of your button is tied to ground.

One of the large post on the solenoid will be marked BATT. The coil picks up current at that point and the other side goes to the little #10 post. Taking that post to ground pull the contactor down. It will be easier than finding a B+ supply for the solenoid.

Take a wire from the little post to one side of the switch, the other side of the switch goes to ground.

RockHillWill 01-31-2017 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This looks like it is going to work well for this project that I working on. It is a Ford 8N 6v tractor solenoid for under $10. I tapped the copper 'stud' to 5/6" and will run a battery cable to it from the solenoid.

Attachment 302892

1955cj5 01-31-2017 09:06 PM

When we first got our ccpu it had a push-button/solenoid start in place of the kick starter.

It used the aftermarket replacement ignition key/switch to energize the ignition, but used the separate push button-solenoid arrangement to spin the starter.

I cannot find a picture unfortunately, I just recently removed the starter button and plugged the hole with the rubber plug that is normally used for
the rh door lock hole..

Anyway, the button was in the dash rail, to the left of the steering column nearly to the door post.

That way you could turn on the ignition, then pull the choke with the right hand and energize the starter with the left....

I still have the push button and maybe even the solenoid..finding them is another matter :)