The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Timing question again! with Pic (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193158)

qstott 04-03-2016 10:12 AM

Timing question again! with Pic

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still struggling with my new to me A. I installed a modern point plate and have the timing set as shown in the attached pic. This is with the timing gear in the proper place at TDC by using the pin through the cover.

I get an occasional backfire in 3rd gear. It seems the more I advance the spark the better it gets, but I think my basic timing may not be quite right.

I've driven it several trips this morning trying to slightly advance or retard the setting, but can't seem to get rid of the backfire.

I started over and set the timing as shown in Les Andrew's book. Do I need to back the cam up a little still?

Thanks!

Y-Blockhead 04-03-2016 10:27 AM

Re: Timing question again! with Pic

Does it backfire at a specific moment, such a shifting, Accelerating, decelerating, etc.?

The reason I ask is because my Town Sedan "talks to me" (not really a "Backfire" tho) occasionally when I let off to shift if I have the GAV turned in too far (lean). Turning the GAV out a 1/4 turn rectifies it.

I figure she is telling me where the "Sweet Spot" is.

qstott 04-03-2016 10:31 AM

Accelerating mostly. I just adjusted the points to .020. I think it made it worse. They had closed up some.

Y-Blockhead 04-03-2016 10:41 AM

I would start with rechecking/readjusting your timing. Since you readjusted your point gap you changed effectively changed your timing.

You say it only backfires in third? So when it is under load?

katy 04-03-2016 10:58 AM

From the pic it looks like the timing is late.
Quote:

I installed a modern point plate I just adjusted the points to .020. They had closed up some.
Did you put a smear of lubricant on the cam?

Tom Wesenberg 04-03-2016 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You're at the wong edge of the rotor. It needs to line up with the trailing edge when the pin is in the cam gear detent.

Bob C 04-03-2016 11:19 AM

Here's Marco's instructions http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/timing.htm

Bob

fredski 04-03-2016 11:22 AM

First ever time I did engine timing I made the same mistake.
Do it as in Marcos picture. It ran like that but Like yours had some backfiring.

freski

qstott 04-03-2016 11:57 AM

Thanks for the help! I will go try it again :p

qstott 04-03-2016 12:50 PM

I looked for Marco's instructions and couldn't find them. Thanks for posting the link. I tied it again, but it still had some backfiring. I'm going to print out Marco's instructions and go over it again, step by step.

Preacher 04-03-2016 01:04 PM

As Tom W. pointed out you are at the wrong edge. Remember the distributor rotates counter clock wise. common mistake.

qstott 04-03-2016 03:44 PM

Okay, I'm about done for the day. I started this project a 7:00 am, and still don't have it licked. I went step by step by Marco's instructions. I double checked the point gap, and don't think cam lobes are an issue. It was running fine last weekend and I don't think one or more wore that quickly.

I corrected my mistake with the setting and made sure the points sparked just at the right time. There does not seem to be any play in the shaft side to side, but there is a very small amount of backlash between clockwise and counter clockwise. (Very small, maybe 1 degree).

It's been sitting since for 5 hrs or so. I pulled the choke for a second, and it fired right up. I could not back it out of the shop for the moistly sputtering and a little backfire.

I did put a fake condenser in the hole when I replaced the point plate with a modern style one. I did not install the screw that would normally hold the end of the condenser in place. I don't see how that could be shorting.

I had read not to screw the cable from the box in too far, but I think its making good connection.

I can't understand why it won't run at least halfway decent as close as the timing is. Maybe it's fuel?

I also installed a Viton tipped needle and seat Friday. The old one was sealing any more. The float was measured with a micrometer was the level was almost exactly 1".

Tom Wesenberg 04-03-2016 03:53 PM

Can you post a picture of the points with the rotor removed?

Do you have the wireless top plate? I would never use one.

Art Newland 04-03-2016 04:08 PM

Backfiring under load could easily be a fuel starvation issue. Maybe your needle/seat install, or possibly the more common plugged fuel line. I'm dealing with the plugged fuel line myself.

Bob C 04-03-2016 04:09 PM

Could also be defective parts especially since you are using the so called
modern points and condenser.

Bob

Fred K-OR 04-03-2016 04:19 PM

Is the backfire in the carb or exhaust? If carb, might be your GAV is set to tight. Open it a bit and see what happens. You mentioned you did some work on the carb and thus something with the carb may be your problem.

5lugnuts 04-03-2016 06:16 PM

Sounds like the new condenser is bad or grounding. If it was installed too close to the points cam, the condenser case may have rubbed against the cam and been damaged. It only takes a small leak or nick to ruin it.

qstott 04-03-2016 06:47 PM

Tom, I'm not using the wireless plates. I will get a photo later and post it.

While looking for a rotor button, I found some motorcraft points and condenser. I've been a Ford parts guy for over 40 yrs. Imagine my anguish when I discovered the DP-104 points have been discontinued and the condensers are in short supply. I bought a couple of sets for my father about 3 years ago. I should have stocked up then.

I may just put the original plate back in it and try that.

Art, the fuel line was good. I just installed a gas tank valve and cleaned the sediment bowl. There was very little gunk in the carb or bowl.

It is backfiring through the carb. I think.

qstott 04-03-2016 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture for Tom.
Thanks

Tom Wesenberg 04-03-2016 07:27 PM

Check the terminal on the condenser, as it looks like it could be turned down and may be touching ground. I'd have the curled over edge facing up. Most points have a metal spring strap and a thin copper strap to conduct the current. I only see the spring strap in the picture, but make sure it or the copper strap don't touch ground or the cam lobes. Same goes for the terminal from the lower wire on the points.

Also how is the popout cable? It looks like it's loose from the threaded end.