The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   alternator recommendations (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170124)

ddegrave 06-01-2015 02:11 PM

alternator recommendations

Need to replace alternator -bearings are shot. . I presently have a 66 Buick Delco. I belieeve it is 61 AMP with external REgulator Like tp hear recommentions regarding either a One wire Alternator or internally regulated. Also what about dropping AMPerage to 42 AMP vs the 61 AMP?

johnbuckley 06-01-2015 02:32 PM

Re: alternator recommendations

42 amp should suffice for normal requirements

oldwoodsman 06-01-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddegrave (Post 1095986)
Need to replace alternator -bearings are shot. . I presently have a 66 Buick Delco. I belieeve it is 61 AMP with external REgulator Like tp hear recommentions regarding either a One wire Alternator or internally regulated. Also what about dropping AMPerage to 42 AMP vs the 61 AMP?

Are you looking for 6 volt or 12 volt?

Patrick L. 06-01-2015 04:03 PM

Those bearings should be readily available and are easy to replace.

1931 flamingo 06-01-2015 06:06 PM

Any auto electric (old time) repair shop should be able to go thru your alt for a reasonable amount of money. Had mine done (6V) last year for about 45$.
Paul in CT

Synchro909 06-01-2015 07:13 PM

Replacing the bearings in your current alternator is the best way to go, I think. To fit another type, you'd have to make new brackets and that alone is probably more work than fixing the old alt.
As for how many amps, when I converted my first A to 12 volts, I did a few very simple calculations:
2 X 55w headlight globes (Halogen) = 110 watts
stop light and tail light, another approx 25 watts
Ignition, approx 35 watts
Total 170 watts. At 12 volts, that is just over 14 amps MAX - driving at night!
I installed a 25 amp alternator from one of those tiny Japanese rice burners of the 1980's/90's with a built in regulator. 40,000 miles later and it is still going. If you're concerned about 45 vs 60 amps, forget it. Either way you're using a sledge hammer to break a peanut.

glenn in camino 06-01-2015 07:34 PM

I bought a 6v from Brattons. I'm satisfied.

Kevin in NJ 06-01-2015 08:24 PM

A slightly overlooked fact is the pulley diameter on the alt is too small to allow enough HP transfer for any high amp alt.

Go look it up online. There are sight telling how many HP it takes to drive the different amp alt. There are other sights telling you how large a diameter pulley you need to transfer that much HP, assuming a tight belt. I recommend that you look up the procedures for proper belt tightness for the cars with a V belt. You might find they need to be extremely tight to get the HP transfer. Remember when they got a bit loose and they squeeled?

Do not forget that the alt ratings drop by half when they warm up. You can look that up online too.

The reality is an alt can not really put out much above what the generator can do.

As far a more reliable. My brother has not touched the gen on his A since around 1970 except to oil it.

So, I would not worry too much about current ratings. Buy cheap and have a spare for when it breaks again. Or get a gen and never worry about it.

Bruce Adams 06-01-2015 08:39 PM

My 30 amp alternator produces output for about five seconds after a cold start, then, even with full headlights, the amp meter shows around zero with the 30 amp alternator so I guess it more than meets the requirements of high beams and loud horn when required. It is about ten years old and always provides a full battery. My headlights illuminate reflective signs at over 0.25 miles. It has the special pulley for the Model A.

Kurt in NJ 06-01-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Adams (Post 1096212)
My 30 amp alternator produces output for about five seconds after a cold start, then, even with full headlights, the amp meter shows around zero with the 30 amp alternator so I guess it more than meets the requirements of high beams and loud horn when required. It is about ten years old and always provides a full battery. My headlights illuminate reflective signs at over 0.25 miles. It has the special pulley for the Model A.

What you are describing can be done with 15 amps ---

Mike V. Florida 06-01-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddegrave (Post 1095986)

"One wire Alternator or internally regulated."

One wire alts are internally regulated. The output of an alternator only becomes a factor if you have all kinds of accessories working in the car. A 60 amp alt does not put out 60 amps unless 60 amps is needed.

Gold Digger 06-02-2015 07:03 AM

I had trouble seeing at night with my generator that would put out 20 amps. I decided to go with halogen bulbs but read on the FB that to run halogen's you needed an alternator. So I bought an alternator in Chickasha from a guy (hope he's reading this) that said he sold his "A" and took the new alternator off and reinstalled the generator before the guy came and got it. This should have been the first clue. It looked new and was in the box with all the instructions and the mounting adaptor all for 80 bucks. Got home and put it on but no charge. After messing with it for a few days I decided I had been boned and took it in to a rebuild shop for testing and found out it wasn't any good. So I ordered a new one from Mike's that worked and found out I don't need halogen's after all. The alternator makes the lights as bright as 12 volts and can see to drive all night. Been working good for 3 years now and used up only one belt.

Willie Krash 06-02-2015 04:41 PM

Mike is right re amperage. Really I think the world of our suppliers but old analog alternators are as simple as a Model A is when compared to modern charging systems.
The bearings and a brush job on a 10DN is very simple. I own one of those old time alternator shops. I talk people out of spending unnecessary money with me or others.
Sometimes people just want too.
What I'm saying is those alternators need not be expensive. Re one wire alt's I see a lot of them with dead regulators. Yesterday I put a AC fired ultra low cut in regulator in a chrome alternator....$25.

pgerhardt 06-02-2015 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an alternator that won't make your eyes hurt when you open the hood!;)

Brianfrench65 06-02-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgerhardt (Post 1096714)
Here is an alternator that won't make your eyes hurt when you open the hood!;)

Where is that alternator sold? It really looks good.

Bruce Adams 06-02-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 (Post 1096728)
Where is that alternator sold? It really looks good.

Looks good but DOES NOT come cheap. $370 as I understand it.

Plainsman30 06-02-2015 06:49 PM

The alternator "that won't make your eyes hurt" does look nice.

Does it work well and how about cost, if you can care to share.
Thanks

CarlG 06-02-2015 10:41 PM

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

waxhead 06-03-2015 05:05 AM

I just installed one in my car, bolts straight in without mods. They also do a 6 volt model, but I installed the 12 volt version attached.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pwm-82001

waxhead 06-03-2015 05:09 AM

and here's the 6 volt version

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pwm-82006