The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brke n shake ???????? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152837)

SETHDOUG 10-23-2014 12:40 PM

Brke n shake ????????

HI GUYS ,,, I HAVE AN ORIGINAL UNRESTORED 31 TUDOR SEDAN ,,,
BARN FOUND AFTER 26 YEARS ... AFTER MUCH WORK ITS REGESTERED AND DRIVES GREAT ... WELL ALMOST GREAT ,,,,,COMMING TO A STOP PRESS THE BRAKS I GET A HORRIFFIC SHAKE IN THE CAR ,,,IS THIS BRAKES >>>>OR IN THE STEERING,,, SCARES ME TO DEATH ,,,,Where do i start ,???,,thanks Seth Carley ,,trumbull ct [email protected]

700rpm 10-23-2014 12:46 PM

Re: Brke n shake ????????

Something's loose or worn out in your steering geometry. The are lots of causes. If you do a search here for "shimmy" you'll find the potential causes and fixes.

Patrick L. 10-23-2014 02:10 PM

Seems like you're really concerned about this since you're yelling for help.

It seems to me like you have more of a problem than just a warped brake drum or two.

I agree with looking over the suspension and steering really good. Appears as though there is a thing or two or three that is loose. Start with the wheel bearings and work your way back to the steering box.

Gary Gregory 10-23-2014 02:49 PM

King pins and bushings

Tom Wesenberg 10-23-2014 04:11 PM

Have you pulled the front drums to look for rust spots inside the drums? This can cause a pulse or shake when braking. My newer car will rust on the disks after a few days and pulse for a block or two until applying the brakes lightly will wear the rust off.

afuncar 10-23-2014 04:25 PM

My shudder an shake was caused by a loose nut on the front spring perch.

Larry Seemann 10-23-2014 05:36 PM

Like afuncar said I had that happen once - loose not on the spring perch. Acted just like you describe.

1931 flamingo 10-23-2014 06:07 PM

Ck the brake backing plates for tightness to the spindles.
Paul in CT

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-23-2014 06:56 PM

Flat spots on the tires from sleeping 26 years??
Bill W.

Duffy1 10-23-2014 07:29 PM

I have seen loose radius rods cause this. Replace radius ball or put in washer over existing ball . Vendors have the washer.

afuncar 10-23-2014 08:03 PM

My shutter was the nut under axle for spring perch .

Ed Saniewski 10-24-2014 05:30 AM

I am with Duffy, check the radius rod ball first. make sure the springs are in the right place and the nuts are tight. This is an easy thing to check, and if loose will give you a lot of shaking. Ed Saniewski

Tom Wesenberg 10-24-2014 06:16 AM

When I bought my 29 Tudor it also had a bad shake while braking. The right rear wheel had a flat spot probably from loosing a wheel while driving. I replaced the drum and backing plate, and it brakes smoothly now. I've seen quite a few drums with flat spots. Hard to believe that many people lost wheels while driving.