The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ModelA Times (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288347)

rfitzpatrick 10-07-2020 04:34 PM

ModelA Times

Has an article: "Isolating Road Troubles---" and states the ignition system causes 95%, Compression 1%, fuel 4%. How does having an electronic ignition system compare to theses finds, plz.
I now have one on my '31, just a couple months, so there's no history

Thanks

wmws 10-07-2020 06:29 PM

Re: ModelA Times

If you have trouble with an electronic ignition out on the road there is no fixing it. With a points system you can 9 times out of 10 fix it on the road.

Chuck Sea/Tac 10-07-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmws (Post 1939235)
If you have trouble with an electronic ignition out on the road there is no fixing it. With a points system you can 9 times out of 10 fix it on the road.

You can fix it. You need extra parts, just like anything else.

Purdy Swoft 10-08-2020 11:55 AM

If a person choses to use electronic ignition it is probably best to go ahead and buy two setups to begin with , then you would have parts to fix it with when ignition failure happens on the road . For hotter spark I use the Pertronix flame thrower coil . After all , the spark comes from the coil . I've always made it home with points ignition on my model A .

CarlG 10-09-2020 08:02 PM

When I bought my new engine, I put an electronic ignition on it. Well it lasted about 5K miles. I replaced it with a stock "loaner" that had been rebuilt by one of our club members. 7K miles later and I still haven't given back the loaner.

Jim/GA 10-09-2020 08:14 PM

Remind me not to "loan" Carl any of my spare parts.

:D :D :D

KansasRick 10-10-2020 05:29 AM

I had an electronic ignition in my Roadster that failed on a trip. I thought I had prepared myself sufficiently by purchasing a spare module from the distributor manufacturer. That way I figured if it failed, I could replace it with the spare and be on my way.

Well it didn’t go too good. Once I got into the distributor, I found that the manufacturer had riveted the module to the plate in the distributor. In the location I was at I didn’t have access to the necessary tools to drill out the rivets and reattach the replacement module. I ended up trailing the Roadster home. Bummer

I replaced the electronic ignition with points and original distributor now. I think if the electronic distributor had been designed to be worked on, I would have kept it as I liked the hot spark and automatic timing advance. It was very expensive and very disappointing.

That’s my experience.

Jacksonlll 10-10-2020 07:00 AM

If you do use the electronic system, only you can fix it and supply the parts when on tour with other A’s. They can’t help you in most cases.

denis4x4 10-10-2020 08:28 AM

Having run the Per-Lux Ignitor (now the Petronix) on boats, Model A's and classic cars for 40+ years, the only failure I've had was self inflicted due to a bad ground. Based on posts here, I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong!!