The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Distributor lower shaft removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286175)

gcenb1 08-25-2020 04:26 PM

Distributor lower shaft removal

Still cannot get lower shaft out...have tried everything I can think of, but no luck. It turns with no problem cranking the engine, but just will not lift out, no matter what I try. Am I the only person who has ever run into this?

Patrick L. 08-25-2020 04:51 PM

Re: Distributor lower shaft removal

What seems to be the problem ? Does it seem to be rusted in place ? You're not able to get it to 'wobble' around ?

Usually a tap on the head and a twist, then pull it up with something like snap ring pliers.

gcenb1 08-25-2020 05:10 PM

It does seem like it's stuck to the oil pump gear. Can't imagine why it won't lift out. It rotates with no problem, but won't lift an iota.

chrs1961815 08-25-2020 05:22 PM

Older reproductions were sometimes a poor fit, too tight or too loose. It could also be that the shafts are rusted together. Have you tried grabbing it with something? Could try a magnet as well.

Bob C 08-25-2020 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had an older reproduction one that the tang on the drive gear and the
slot in the lower shaft were not a match and were STUCK. I had to make a collet type puller to get the lower shaft out.

dpson 08-25-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1924190)
slot in the lower shaft were not a match and were STUCK. I had to make a collet type puller to get the lower shaft out.

Oh wow, that's pretty clever. Nice work!

PalAl 08-25-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Endless talent in this hobby, great that you all share.
Nice job Bob thanks for sharing.

I once fashioned a coat hanger, with my own two hands and my own design, to help unlock my car door....LOL

Patrick L. 08-26-2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. interesting. Nice.

You never know what you're gonna find with these critters.

Ted Duke 08-26-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalAl (Post 1924249)
Endless talent in this hobby, great that you all share.
Nice job Bob thanks for sharing.

I once fashioned a coat hanger, with my own two hands and my own design, to help unlock my car door....LOL

PalAl,

Oh my, that brings back funny memories. Funny for other people then and funny for me 60 yrs later. I did that on the Sunday morning the day after my marriage to my wonderful wife. We went to Mass in Williamsburg, Virginia and I had to "borrow" a coat hangar from the priest afterwards to get in my 1961 Chevrolet BelAir hardtop.

rocket1 08-26-2020 08:07 AM

Gcenb1 put your location in your avatar might be someone near you that can help,send a pm to the barner that made the tool possibly you can borrow it.

PalAl 08-26-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Duke (Post 1924297)
PalAl,

Oh my, that brings back funny memories. Funny for other people then and funny for me 60 yrs later. I did that on the Sunday morning the day after my marriage to my wonderful wife. We went to Mass in Williamsburg, Virginia and I had to "borrow" a coat hangar from the priest afterwards to get in my 1961 Chevrolet BelAir hardtop.

Now that's funny, bet you were red faced that Sunday morning

1crosscut 08-26-2020 05:16 PM

Locked the keys in my pickup many moons ago in front of the police station here in Lincoln Nebraska. Used a coat hanger to get it unlocked. Took me about a half an hour to do it. Had at least 15 officers walk by me. Not one of them checked to make sure I was breaking into my own truck. Safest place to steal a vehicle I guess.

Smooth_One 08-26-2020 06:22 PM

Take the oil pump out as a last resort?

PalAl 08-26-2020 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1crosscut (Post 1924460)
Locked the keys in my pickup many moons ago in front of the police station here in Lincoln Nebraska. Used a coat hanger to get it unlocked. Took me about a half an hour to do it. Had at least 15 officers walk by me. Not one of them checked to make sure I was breaking into my own truck. Safest place to steal a vehicle I guess.

No one wanted to do the paper work.............

IndyA 08-27-2020 12:11 AM

Had the same problem. Cut a 2x4 about the height from the floor to the middle of the valve compartment - took a vice grip plier, laid the back of the plier on the top of the standing 2x4 (as in a fulcrum arrangement); clamped the jaws on the distributor shaft and whacked downward on the back end of the vice grip... out she came !!!!!

Big hammer 08-27-2020 08:07 AM

When I pulled my distributor it had the one piece shat, when I reinstalled the distributor I went with the origins two piece shaft.

The shaft that your going after, how far down from the surface of the head is the end? 1to 2 inches or 6to7 inches?

gcenb1 08-29-2020 07:53 PM

Well, finally got it out...used a vice grip, and between wiggling it side to side, and tapping up on the vice grip, finally was able to very slowly work it up....was totally rusted at top of shaft! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions...very much appreciated.